27' Hunter 1 cyl. Yanmar fuel usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2009
HUNTER Drifter ll - 27ft. Isla Del Sol Y.C., St. Pete., Fl.
I am the new owner of a 1982 27' Hunter with the one cyl. Yanmar engine in like new condition. ( I love this boat!) Unfortunately, there is no fuel level gauge on this baby. I estimate I am using slightly more than 1 qt/ hour.

1. Will one of you experienced owners of similiar boats please tell me if that's realiistic?

2. My second question : is it possible to install a fuel guage on her?

3. If the fuel leaks out the stern vent does that mean she's full or could that be caused by filling too fast?

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated!

Ole Dad

dmc

Jan 29, 2007
Hunter Cheribini Lk. St. Clair MI
My Hunter is a '78 - 27'

and I agree it's a great boat. My engine is 8hp Yanmar 1 lunger. And, my fuel gauge is shot.
1. I estimate about 1/2 gallon per hour as my useage.

2. She had a "button" gauge that was barely readable. The "button" was a magnetic actuated fuel gauge about the size of a silver dollar on top of a stainless tank. There was no mechanical float or anything that penetrated the tank. I tried to replace it with a similar "button" I bought at West Marine ($25) and the new "button" only reads to 1/2 tank and stays there until I have less than a 1/2 tank. I use the gauge but not with real confidence.
The "button" has a mounting position and two small screws to hold it in place.
If you find one that works let me know.

3. Both. The stern vent is the overflow vent. Be careful when fueling, when I fill to overflow I position a mate with a catch bowl so I don't pollute.

As my old Dad use to say, "it might be broke, but It don't hurt the sailin' of her none". Have fun and estimate on the safe side.

Peace

dmc

Nov 29, 2008
Hunter 30 San Diego
I figure 3 hours per gallon, with my ysb12. My fuel gauge is only readable with a flashlight and mirror, but it does work.
I use a fuel catch bottle when filling so no fuel goes into the water.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
1/2 Gallon per Hour

dmc answered the other questions right. We use about a half gallon per hour at cruising speed-around 4.5 knots. That is with the old YS8 and with our new 1GM10.

Enjoy the boat. This is one of the alltime great cruising designs.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Congrats on your new boat! I've had my '84 h27 for 6 years now and still love it. As previous responders hinted, you probably have a fuel gage located on the top of the tank under the cockpit floor. You may find by lying head first in the port stern berth and looking in the smallish access post. I had one - only problem it was impossible to see gage, ever with a mirror. So about 3 years ago I replaced with a real lighted gage. I installed on the bulkhead next to the gangway door (port side). This is where the original depth gage and speed indicator was located. I had already bought a GPS with depth and speed and original depth/speed were not working. The power (12 v) line is already in the bulkhaed so the only wiring was to run a line down to the tank, a few feet below. It was also necessary to install a "sender" unit with a float to measure the fuel level. This was a little tricky because of the limited space between the top of the tank and the cockpit floor, but it did fit and the hole size and mounting screws matched up perfectly. Bought equipment from West Marine and installation only took an hour or so. My gage works great and is far better that estimating fuel level, especially when on a long trip. Good luck. (Just realized I responded to your posting on same issue back in December!)

Sep 28, 2009
Yanmar fuel usage

I am really impressed with the prompt replies!! Thank you very much!!! You're a great group!!!
OleDad
and I agree it's a great boat. My engine is 8hp Yanmar 1 lunger. And, my fuel gauge is shot.
1. I estimate about 1/2 gallon per hour as my useage.

2. She had a "button" gauge that was barely readable. The "button" was a magnetic actuated fuel gauge about the size of a silver dollar on top of a stainless tank. There was no mechanical float or anything that penetrated the tank. I tried to replace it with a similar "button" I bought at West Marine ($25) and the new "button" only reads to 1/2 tank and stays there until I have less than a 1/2 tank. I use the gauge but not with real confidence.
The "button" has a mounting position and two small screws to hold it in place.
If you find one that works let me know.

3. Both. The stern vent is the overflow vent. Be careful when fueling, when I fill to overflow I position a mate with a catch bowl so I don't pollute.

As my old Dad use to say, "it might be broke, but It don't hurt the sailin' of her none". Have fun and estimate on the safe side.

Peace

dmc

Sep 28, 2009
Fuel usage & gauge

I would really appreciate more detail on what you did. I'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing where my fuel level was!

Thanks again, Ole Dad wc33715@msn.com St. Pete., Fl.
Congrats on your new boat! I've had my '84 h27 for 6 years now and still love it. As previous responders hinted, you probably have a fuel gage located on the top of the tank under the cockpit floor. You may find by lying head first in the port stern berth and looking in the smallish access post. I had one - only problem it was impossible to see gage, ever with a mirror. So about 3 years ago I replaced with a real lighted gage. I installed on the bulkhead next to the gangway door (port side). This is where the original depth gage and speed indicator was located. I had already bought a GPS with depth and speed and original depth/speed were not working. The power (12 v) line is already in the bulkhaed so the only wiring was to run a line down to the tank, a few feet below. It was also necessary to install a "sender" unit with a float to measure the fuel level. This was a little tricky because of the limited space between the top of the tank and the cockpit floor, but it did fit and the hole size and mounting screws matched up perfectly. Bought equipment from West Marine and installation only took an hour or so. My gage works great and is far better that estimating fuel level, especially when on a long trip. Good luck. (Just realized I responded to your posting on same issue back in December!)

Mar 5, 2006
- - Bay City, MI
fuel consumption

I had a 1980 H27 for 12 years. It was always at or about 1/4 gal per hr.

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
Ole Dad, I have a 2 cylinder Yanmar 2GM20F diesel and have kept accurate records of fuel usage and engine hours for 11 seasons. This allowed me to compute Gal per Hour comsumption rate for each year. I compared this to replacement of the mixing elbow. My fuel consumption ranged 0.28 GPH with a new mixing elbow to 0.45 with a "coked up" mixing elbow that needed replacing. This engine is on a Hunter 33.5 boat. Hope this helps. Also, fuel leaking out the vent will also occur if fuel is going in too fast (near the end of the fill) and results in foaming of the fuel. Get a good reading on how much fuel you have before a fill an then determine how many gallons you need to top off. Then slow down the fill rate for the last few gallons.

Dick S/V Puffin

Feb 10, 2009
Hunter '75 H27 Shearwater
I have a H27 with a very old SVE-8, of course milage depends on how I run it, but on average I get about 1/3 gallon per hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.