26X vs. 26 Classic as a saliling boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

I am tossing between a 26X and 26Classic and would much appreciate input from anyone, especially if you have experience with both boats. Have owned or sailed various sailboats in the past but have been away from it for about 10 years. I'm now interested in the MacGregor due mainly to tow-ability, launch-ability, and ease of rigging, as we have numerous sailing venues in No. Calif. The motoring aspect doesn't do much for me but is a "nice feature.???" Headroom is a bit of a factor as I am just at 6 feet tall, looks like I won't be doing stretching exercises in either one. My main question is sail-ability of both crafts and how they compare. Looks like the C is much lighter and therefore one would assume safer in the self righting aspect. Does the C point noticeably better? Is an 8 horse motor going to get me back to the ramp before sunset or ahead of the incoming squall? Maybe it doesn't matter so much in the C because it may handle the squall better???? Any Help Out There???? Craig

B

Bob Cassel

I love my 26S...and I've sailed a 26X...

The cockpit is nicer on the S or D, the cabin is very roomy on the X. It really depends on what you plan on doing. Like I say, I've sailed the X and I really didn't care for the cockpit arrangement and it didn't seem to point as well as my S model. The X will have much more topsides wind effect that the S. Re: the motor, I have a Yachtwin 8 and it gets me everywhere I want to go at a max of 6 knots, half throttle. I sail it on the bay, northern California lakes, Tahoe, Lake Mead and the Sea of Cortez. If you want the cabin space, the X is the way to go. With the pop top and pot top canvas cover, you get lots of room in the S or D models. Drop me a line at bcassel1@pacbell.net if you want to drop by and spend some time in mine. I'll be on SF bay the weekend of Oct 12/13. I found spending time in the boat made the decision easier for me.

D

dan

Sailing/Motoring

Hi craig..... I have a 98'26X. If you want to SAIL more than motor.......get the 26S. The 26X sits a good foot higher out of the water and is a planeing powerboat type hull. Sailing performance is compromised for the powerboat function. Go look at them in the water and this will help you decide. happy shopping.....dan

C

Chris baker

26c or x

Dear Craig, If you like sailing you should get a 26c. I have sailed the 26x and found it to be about a knot slower and generally it just doesn't have the responsiveness of the 26C which is a really good sailboat. I can frequently surf past 40 foot yachts as I sail in from the Golden Gate Bridge to Berkeley. I have an 8 hp motor which whizzes me along at 7 knots (when needed which is very rare in the bay). I happily used the motor up Tomales bay against 40 knots of wind last year. (Tomales by the way is the windiest place in Northern California - a wonderful place to sail and camp) Take my advice, buy a 26C and take a friend sailing who owns a ski boat - that way you will have the best of all worlds. Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.