26X Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Butch

For 2 years I have been researching. Everything pointed to Mac 26X. Trailoring. Price. Large motor. Price. Ease of maintenance ( little or no wood). Price. A month ago I found this site and was pleased with most of what I have read except the quality issues. Now I am quite concerned. Is the Mac 26X a cheap production model or have there just been "a few " problems? How does the quality stack up to Hunter or Catalina? Thanks, Butch PS: I have been racing Thistles for 2 years and question the sailing performance as well.

T

Tom Broome

Harley Davidson of sail boating???????????

I may be unfaire here even to wonder if the MacGregor 26X is comparable to the venerable HD cycle which most all riders love but have to be tolerent of its unreliability. An obvious difference is price. Harleys are costly in spite of their poor quality (Harley riders will hate me for saying this) while the MacGregor appears to be a real bargin. Still what about its quality, repairs required year by year? Is quality of design, structural integrity and all essentials there and only the frills absent? Can any one say?

V

Viviana

Nice web site with info

I found this web site that has a lot of info and may answer some of the questions you have. We are also planning to get a Mac Gregor26X http://www.nisa.net/~harbro/windarra.html Viviana

D

david smith

help mac dealer se usa ???

someone posted a dealer in the southeast selling mac 26 for 13,900. iam looking for dealer to purchase.

M

mike

know what u want and limits

I too have a Mac, for 3 yrs now. I searched for 4rs----since 1995. I went back and forth--Hunter vs Mac. U have to remember--the Mac is about have the price of a Hunter. the most expensive part of the mac is the motor. In the video it points out a key reason y the cost is kept so low. "jigs". Production is the same, for the most part in all macs. Jigs help take the labor hours out of production and increases number of finished boats. Is that ok for u, or would u rather have a team laying up the hull and building ur boat and others, one at a time. I bought a mac, because i also wanted a power boat. It was hard to accept the thin glass above the water line, but below the water line is reinforced to a pretty good thickness of glass. I had to lower my expectations a bit. I found bubbles in the gel coat and the boat leaked when it rained. Had the marina correct these isssues but u won't get that in an expensive boat------not right away, anyway. Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.