26X launch and recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2010
Macgregor 26X North Shuswap
being new to the Macgregor style boat (all others have had at least some form of keel) after reading the manual I prepared to launch and it was a pretty surprising experience! so looking for a few pointers:

Launching preparation...it would seem that I will need the rudders full down, boarding ladder full up, be ready to drop the swing keel immediately after clearing the last bunk, and maybe even have the water ballast in - does that seem to be the usual status to avoid behaving like a pool toy blowing about in the marina?

Recovery preparation: first experience also pretty surprising! I was not sure how deep to put the trailer in so went for deeper rather than shallower - the result was that I banged the bow hard into the steel cross beam that supports the last bunk before the winch post. so have some questions:

1. how deep do you put the trailer in the water (do you judge by the wheel covers)?
2. are the carpeted boards on that most forward bunk supposed to be tight together so that even if you have the trailer angle wrong that you hit the boards and not the cross beam?
3. has anyone modified that forward bunk to protect the boat from the steel cross beam?

Thanks for the help

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.........1. how deep do you put the trailer in the water (do you judge by the wheel covers)?
2. are the carpeted boards on that most forward bunk supposed to be tight together so that even if you have the trailer angle wrong that you hit the boards and not the cross beam?
3. has anyone modified that forward bunk to protect the boat from the steel cross beam?.....
We were new to launching and retrieving ourselves at this point last year.

I added.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/trailer-mods-index.html

..........guides from the goalposts forward to the "V" and that has made getting onto the trailer a no-brainer for us from the first time to the last. Once at Lake Powell were we launched and retrieved....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-trips-1/2009 Powell Fr-Mia.html

....without a ramp or dock I went ashore with the dinghy and backed the trailer down into the water (until the tops of the fender is just under) and signaled for Ruth and she motored in right into and up on the trailer.

I've see where others have made the guides out of simple ropes.

I along with others also added a ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/trailer-mods-7.html

....bow roller and that also helps and keeps the bow out of any steel nearby.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

May 30, 2010
Macgregor 26X North Shuswap
Thanks for the great suggestions...I was thinking of adding a 4-5 foot ramp in the center of the trailer frame and ending with a bow roller, so your pictures really help. also the guides will help although I will have add another set of goal posts before the axle as mine only has one set at the back of the trailer.

NS sailor

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
pvc!
I'm not familiar with the specifics of launching an X, But in general, I try to use some PVC pipe to protect the boat from the trailer.
goal post guides in the rear, and then either split the pvc and slide over the edge of the rail, or some how use it to help guide the boat to the center.

do you have a dock on one side where you launch? or do you have to beach launch?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/ftldiver2/MACGREGOR/P1010008.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/ftldiver2/MACGREGOR/P1010393.jpg

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
for no dock launch / retrieve, you want to motor it on and off. maybe 2-3knts, pretty fast run up on the trl.

just protect the boat from the trailer. -make or buy guides so you don't scratch the boat.

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
Thanks for the great suggestions...I was thinking of adding a 4-5 foot ramp in the center of the trailer frame and ending with a bow roller, so your pictures really help. also the guides will help although I will have add another set of goal posts before the axle as mine only has one set at the back of the trailer.

NS sailor
As a quick fix for the summer. Run poly rope lines either side of the hull from the goal post top to the Vee at the winch.

Do you swing the stern around with the aft line once it is launched for easier beach boarding?

You will need to go deeper for reloading than launching as the ballast water is lowering the boat. Pumping or as Sum suggested blow out most of the ballast before loading onto the trailer using a 12 volt dingy air pump.

I'm just about finished doing repairs and mods on my 26D trailer and intend on putting on goal post to assist loading.

Other than the occasional day trip I found it difficult to get over night parking anywhere on the Shuswap and Sycamous (little Edmonton) a night mare of traffic both on and off the water. I couldn't beleive it when I got to Copper Island and there was a floating burger joint (converted house boat) moored there. I long to get back to the Gulf Islands but he cost of launching is prohibitive. Excuse the moans there are ways around all this.

I'm in Falkland BC should you wish to contact

Mic Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.