26x centerboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2005
- - zigzagII
Help! I own a 1999 26x and believe I "lost" my centerboard after it impacted on the bottom a few times. The board is obviously not down (based on maneuverability), the centerboard rope is slack, and I think I heard it give way.... I haven't actually pulled the boat from the well yet to inspect. It appears to now need a new centerboard. I have spoken with several parts dealers (Power Sailing Ctr., ldaSailor Marine) as well as the company. I have a call pending with blue water as well-but no reply yet. The best I can do is to have a centerboard fabricated for me which will of course crimp the sailing season here in Michigan! Question: anybody have a handle on other good parts dealers for Macs that might have a board in stock? Anybody with experience tips on pulling bracket and replacing centerboard (on the trailer) once I find one? Lastly, does anybody have the custom (polycarbonate, not fiberglas) board IdaSailor makes and is it worth twice the money as the original? Thanks for the help!

B

bt

centerboard

i can assist you (detailed instructions) with centerboard removal while on trailer. once you've determined that it needs repair/replace, email me and I'll help you out. i've removed and replaced mine several times and it's not difficult and does not take alot of time. taylorbob1@yahoo.com

Jun 7, 2005
- - zigzagII
thanks

Thank you, Bob-I've found parts (Blue water yachts in Seattle) and am awaiting everything to arrive. Have studied the owners manual and I think I understand the basics. Will be in touch. Zeke

Jun 5, 2004
- - Pensacola, Fl
Missing centerboard???

Please post what you find when you do inspect your board. The board is designed to kick up when it hits any obstruction. Mine has hit a few. I cannot envision "losing" the center- board. If you hit something while moving sideways hard enough to break the board, it seems likely that damage to the board housing and hangar would result. The rope could be loose, but then the board would have to be jammed into the trunk so as not to fall. I removed my board because I wanted to modify it. Very easy. I ground about 1/8 inch off the hangar pin. I put rubber caps on the ends when reinstalled. This pushed the hangar bracket closer to the board and protects the hull from gouging by the pin ends. I also put 5 lbs of led in the end of the board by drilling a 9/16 hole in the forward edge and putting small pieces of lead thru it. I then poured fiberglas in to stabilize the lead. Result -- board now falls without hesitation, less play in board, and no banging at anchor. I put a double pully on the line to make it easy to pull up. Next, I am going to replace the slide pin (fairlead) at the mast step with a pully so as to cut down on friction and wear on the centerboard line. With luck maybe you just have a loose line??

R

Ray

GO BACKWARDS

Keel upon my 97 Mac would not drop last year as I had just bought the boat. Found that if I release the drop rope and put motor in reverse the keel drops right down.

Apr 8, 2005
- - Cleveland, MS
How do you replace the centerboard rope ?

How do I replace the centerboard rope while the boat is on the trailer? MAc 26X 2000 Thanks

B

BW

rope replacement

The rope passes thru a hole in the board a little off center toward the trailing edge. The end of the rope is then knotted to keep it from passing back thru hole. The board has a depression from the hole to the trailing edge so knot will not bind against well. The board will not drop enough while on trailer to expose this hole. If you can reach up into well and grasp knot, you may be able to do the job without removing hangar. Secure length of small twine to rope in cockpit by looping it around rope. Don't make a big knot by tieing the two together. Grasp knot on side of board in well and pull all the way thru until you have the twine. If the rope binds in the board hole, you may have to have someone work it down from the top while you pull from below. Once you have the twine, loop it around the new rope and, while someone is pulling from the cabin top, reach up into the well and push the rope thru the board hole. Be sure you have a knot in the end of the rope. Should work if you can reach the hole in the board. May have to find someone with small hand and arm. Good Lucki.

Jun 7, 2005
- - zigzagII
centerboard

Billy-indeed, the board was gone but hanger was intact-must've cracked through the mounting hole. Is now replaced and were're in business. thanks

G

GregS

So how long did it take you

Did you have to build a big cradle contraption to hold the boat up? It seems like a major undertaking to me I hope I never have to do it.

Jun 5, 2004
- - Pensacola, Fl
simple procedure

I can't answer for how long it took Zenoid 51, but I can tell you it is a very simple procedure. Boat does not have to be lifted from trailer or jacked up in any way to remove center board. Just take one nut off the hangar bracket bolt, push down thru top of center board trunk, and slide board out toward bow of boat. Working by myself it took me less than 20 minutes to remove and just a bit longer to replace.

Jun 7, 2005
- - zigzagII
agree with Billie W

Was a relative piece of cake. One tip-it is helpful to leave nut on hanger bolt but above exposed threads as a surface to hammer on to drop the hanger. The calk in the area is tenacious! Thanks again everybody for your responses

Status
Not open for further replies.