26X as power boat. Want your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich

I'm considering using a 26X W/50 horse engine as power only. I'll never put the mast or sailing gear on her. Just use her to get to the anchorage, drop the hook and relax. I'll "Sail" on Lake Michigan and make trips out to Beaver Island (40 miles of open water) and up and down the coast 8 to 10 miles between inlets. I've done this for years on sail boats. Is this a feasable/reasonable use for a 26X? How comfy and secure would she be? Ideas? Also, two 25's instead of one 50? 20 miles from shore with no motor or sail aint my idea of fun. Rich faylil@msn.com

K

Kevin in NM

Only power?

I'm thinking for the same money there would be better choices...I love my 26x but soley as a powerboat? I don't think so. BOL

B

Bill

Buy a Real Power Boat

I have a 26X and it is NOT a power boat. It is a motor sailor that has a great advantage over convention sail boats. Take your $30K and buy a powerboat.

F

Frank

OTOH

... you probably can't find a $30k power boat with as much cabin room as a 26x. Go ahead and get the Mac with one 50hp motor - and take the mast and sails as your backup power. Maybe sailing will grow on you :)

J

Jim Bailey

As I See It

I own a Mac 26X. I've had both power and sail boats. Its great to have the sails when and if the motor takes a holiday, or you just happen to run out of fuel. I have to agree with Kevin Bill and Frank. If you don't like to sail any longer, you really should be looking at power boats, with twin out boards. You'll be happier.

M

Mike Spencer

Love using as a power boat only

I use my Macgregor with a 50 hp and really like it. I used to have a 26ft cabin cruiser. The 26x is much easier to tow and launch and feels larger than its size. My wife doesn't like high speed 30mph cruising but enjoys cruising at 15mph. Much more relaxed. Having floatation and waterballast is another big plus. I us a 6hp 4stroke as a backup. It is on a retracting bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.