26S Swing Keel Cable/Line Questions

Aug 14, 2013
MacGregor 26S High Desert
Before I launch the boat in a couple of weeks, I need to do something about the cable for the swing keel.

My line is a cable that comes through the hull, into a 10" length of vinyl hose, and and has a rope tied to it; it has been just lying under the galley.

There is a block directly above the hose to route the line under the galley.

There is another block near a hole in the liner above the starboard cushion right above cleat. Photo taken from underneath:

Here is hole/cleat arrangement:

The cable is so long that I can't route the line through the blocks. Where should I connect a new line to the cable to give me full range of motion for the swing keel, and still allow me to use the blocks and tie off on the cleat? Eventually I would like to run it to the cabin top, but I'm not going to take the time to do it this year; I've already burned up enough of the summer.

All help is appreciated!

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
You know, I'll have to look at mine but I suspect yours would be about right the travel is not that far. I think with the keel up, your rope will go through the hole and the first block and make the transition to cable. The cable would go over the block above the clear tube.

When the keel is all the way down, your rope to wire will almost be at the block above the hose.

Your knot may be a little long.

Again, I will have to check mine this weekend to be sure.

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks! I've already trimmed the tail off the cable, and replaced the rope. I hope to have it out this weekend...but that may be a bit optimistic.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have to check mine to be sure, but that steel cable should be running thru that empty block above instead of pulling the cable and tube over to the next block.

Your thru hole near the cleat is already notched quite a bit but i drilled mine out and inserted a sleeved grommet to make the line slide easier.

Aug 14, 2013
I have to check mine to be sure, but that steel cable should be running thru that empty block above instead of pulling the cable and tube over to the next block.

Your thru hole near the cleat is already notched quite a bit but i drilled mine out and inserted a sleeved grommet to make the line slide easier.
I believe it should, but the PO crimped the cable so I can't slip it through the first block.

I was considering on the same thing for the hole, but haven't looked into it yet. Do you remember what you used, and are you happy with it?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I believe it should, but the PO crimped the cable so I can't slip it through the first block.

I was considering on the same thing for the hole, but haven't looked into it yet. Do you remember what you used, and are you happy with it?
I used what they call a pushfit bushing. Google them and you'll see what I mean. It works fine. I think the line slides over the metal sleeve better than fiberglass.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
You really need to get that crimp out or see if you can find a block to replace it with that has a removable sheave. You need to pull the straight up. I still haven't gone to the boat. It may be Friday or Saturday

Aug 14, 2013
You really need to get that crimp out or see if you can find a block to replace it with that has a removable sheave. You need to pull the straight up. I still haven't gone to the boat. It may be Friday or Saturday
Good advice; I'll see what I can do.