26S Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2006
C&C 29 MK-1 Mandeville (Lake Pontchartrain), LA
Had a GREAT day sailing Sunday on Lake Conroe, north of Houston! Found a wet slip at a marina for a good price, so I'm taking advantage of the weather and the slip. We had great steady winds, temps in the 80s & lots of other sailboats on the lake. We now definitely prefer lake sailing over salt-water sailing! It's nice to be back down south. Quick question: I brought my GPS and with strong, steady gusts (maybe about 15 mph) my 26S was doing 6.9 mph on the lake. I was wondering how that compared with other 26S's? I think our hull speed is about 7.5 kts, theoritically. Any ideas, thoughts? Kev

Oct 17, 2007
- - Chesapeake/ Fairfax va
8.0 kts

I am also a new mac 26s 1994 classic owner, and was able to go 8.0 knots (gps) with mainsail and motor (with water ballest). Ive only sailed this boat 7 times. Theoretically my (new) 9.9 yamaha ht will only push this boat on its hull speed. I must say, I was skeptic about this boat since Ive owned boats with heavier displacment. I am really enjoying its light air sailing capabilties and trailer sailing. Also, buy the Ida sail rudder if you dont already have it, this is the best upgrade you can do to the Mac 26s (keep it simple and light). I just bought mines and immendiatlly can tell the sailing characteristic improve. Sailed in 15 knots with 25wind gust. Beutiful! Erwin

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Almost Planes

I put the power thruster found in the chandlery on my 12 yr. old Tohatsu 9.9 two stroke. I installed it mainly to keep the rudder from close encounters with propeller. But it also helped the speed. On a calm day this summer, I had the ballast tank only half full, not much gear, and got the speed up to 8.1. I turned around and went in the other direction and it registered 7.8. The boat was almost planing and pulling a good bit of wake. I suspect that one reason why the 26X was developed is that MacGregor saw how easily the 26d & s models could approach planing speed. And no, I would never raise a sail or even cruise under power unless the ballast tank was full. This was just a one time experiment under ideal conditions.

Jul 24, 2006
Macgregor 25 Tulsa, Ok.
Hull Speed

The correct hull speed calculation is 1.34 x the square root of the waterline length. Assuming a waterline length of 22' for a 26' theoretical hull speed would be 6.10 kts. A few weeks ago, we clocked (GPS) 8.5 kts. surfing down-wind in 20 kt. winds with an un-reefed main and working jib on my M-25. Can't imagine what we would have had with a poled out Genoa, probably a broach! :p We had to shorten up sail going back up wind.

A

anonymous due to anticipated negative feedback

Ida Sail Rudder? NOT ME!!!

The first time I read about an Ida Sail rudder breaking, I had my doubts about making it out of plastic. Now that I have read numerous times about them breaking, I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me, except to copy the shape and make my own out of a board or foam core and fiberglass! Someone said above "comeone guys!", I say the same thing. If I had bought one already I might be defending them like you are about to, but not having invested in them, I say "read the writing on the wall, plastic by itself isn't strong enough, even if they use a fancy name for it!" Fiberglass isn't tough to work with, make your own!!! I hope Ida Sail reads this, maybe they will get a clue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but comeon guys, this is obvious! Now I put my flame resistant helmet on in anticipation of the responses. Let me just finish by saying I love my Macgregor and wish you all a happy Halloween!

C

Captain E

Ida Sail Rudder ME

definatlly a troll, doubt he is even a mac owner. If Ida rudder guarantee's a new rudder what is there to loose? The amount of time making a experimental might take days and possible failure and more cash to dish. Lifetime on a performance rudder that will make a mac 26s sail better makes this rudder hard to beat! I don't know what is there to think about.

Jun 3, 2004
Prindle 18, beach catamaran Chicago (North Edgebrook), IL
Make your own?

I don't know what to think about the idasailor rudder, I want one, and don't think I have noticed that "too many" have broken. My issues is what to ask for for xmas and does the rudder make the list: a new mainsail, a traveler and boom vang or rudder. The amount of time making an homemade rudder might not be too bad, here is a link on one approach, it looks like a pretty easy project, and seems to be a worthy design.

A

anon

definatlly a troll???

Captain E, most people on this website are able to get along even if they have different opinions. Why do you have to resort to (meaningless) name calling? I assure you I am much taller than a troll, although I'm not sure how this topic is related to Macs or Ida Sail rudders. I didn't flame you for your grammatical and spelling errors in your posts, as the real point here is to share info and opinions, and hopefully enjoy doing it. I am on my second Mac, to address your second accusation, although I feel no need to prove it. Why else would I be here on this site? Why else would I love them in a world that attacks them (jealous)? A lifetime warranty won't mean much when you've got your family or friends stuck in the middle of the ocean with no rudder. The original rudder didn't need a "spare" to be carried either. I guess I was really lucky that my previous owner extended the leading edge on the stock rudder with wood and fiberglass, and after I cleaned it up, it isn't bad, and I don't think it will break. Anyway, Captain E, carry your spare rudder, and happy sailing!

C

Captain E

Troll by definition:

I really should not reply to troll's but in case you are not, I will explain. Im sorry that you do not know what a troll is. By deifinition An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response. You knew you might be battered with your negative comments on the Ida rudder. Reading many forums about mac, I notice there been many non-mac (other sailers)owners who simply nothing better to do but belittle mac owners(key board warriors). I was surprise to hear you say Ida rudders are not worth it. If anyone was flaming,it would be you. How could you say Ida rudders are not worth it if you never tried it? In my obeservation, your comment doesnt mean squat since you never tried it. As far as I know, there was a defect on a few 2005 rudders and has been since corrected. Letting new classic 26d or S Mac owners think Ida rudder are not worth an upgrade is totally wrong and really doing a dis service to people who own this boat. In my opinion,I think this is the best thing to improve the handling of the classics ( Icannot speak forthe x or m owners since they are not the same boats and diff rudders. You really should not be in the middle of the ocean with your "family" with this boat or any boat at this size range. As a coastal crusier, you should always carry a spare rudder, without one would be foolish. "Rudders are usually the first thing to break in any boat." ~Joshua Slocum~ PS I considered making a rudder, but was advised by many that it is time consuming and I read many warped or delaminate.

Jun 3, 2004
Prindle 18, beach catamaran Chicago (North Edgebrook), IL
Troll or not

Anon gets no points for being anonymous: If you are going to slam a product, do it tastefully, support it with facts, expect an alternative opinion and be yourself. This forum is pretty good about tolerance for divergent opinions and ensuing debate. I don't think anyone is surprised that there are people that have bad ida-rudder experiences, and there are definitly people using this rudder that carry a spare. Will I buy one someday, probably, when I do, it be with the knowledge that I might improve my performance and it might break. It's a boat, things break. Be prepared and relax.

S

sardo

It's the human spirit

Not siding with either side of this conversation, but what Capt E said when he said; PS I considered making a rudder, but was advised by many that it is time consuming and I read many warped or delaminate. Okay .... so advice is one thing, but I believe a man can accomplish whatever he sets his mind to do. If I wanna make rudders ... by GUM I will make rudders! sardo

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Need to Post Anonymously

I don't think it is important tht the poster below does not want to buy a rudder from Idasailor. I think it is a real shame that the poster feels the need to hide.

JDK

Jul 12, 2007
Mac 26D 1988 New Port Richey, Fl
Advice from anon resembles gossip

Maybe anon should ask some owners of Ida rudders that have failed if they thought they got their money's worth. It's that simple. He/she doesn't own one, hasn't sailed one, and consequently doesn't deserve a vote on whether they are a good value or not. If one wants good advice, ask someone with experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.