26S Bilge Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

On our maiden voyage with our 94 26S we found the bilges flooded to the waterline (approximately) every time we checked. We would pump it out by hand, check the ballast valve and scratch our heads. The air vent on the ballast showed water clear to the top and in fact a little would spill out, which did not square with the manual. The flooding seemed isolated to the starboard side and we would pump out under the settee on that side. Now begins the task of finding out what the heck is going on. Any direction would be appreciated.

S

Steve Shenkel

Identical Issues with Bilge Leak

I have a 95 (26S) and had similar issues that surfaced most critically this past Father's day weekend. At that time I was taking on water at the rate of 2 gallons per hour. In my search I found two possibilities for the leak. 1. The hose had popped off the motor well drain which also serves as the drain for the cockpit well. 2. The water tank inspection ports where access is gained to the centerboard pivot pin. There is a port inside the galley on teh floor and also in the "hallway" back to the head. I had a hard time believing that either could be the problem considering the amount of water coming in. However, I fixed both and now it is bone dry. Note: When I had the inspection ports apart for resealing, I replaced teh centerboard cable and in the process discovered that the centerboard did not have a bearing around the pivot pin. The 3/8" bolt passed through a 5/8" hole in the fiberglass (in the centerboard). It was then that I understood why there was so much centerboard banging at anchor. Now with a bearing installed (a $3.00 part) it is solid. Hope this information helps. Contact me if there are any questions. Steve

C

Chris Tilton

This is a note in response to Craig in Modesto... We have '90 model 26s. We have some bilge water accumulation, although not to the extent you mentioned. On your boat, you mentioned the existence of access ports on the floor near the head and settee. Our model does not have this feature.... any other suggestions on the potential source of bilge water? Also, is there a possbible relationship between the level of the ballast (often our ballast water is at the very top of the tank and overlows upon removal of the plug) and bilge water? Thanks, Chris

C

Curtiss Grant

Starboard Leak

I have a '91 26S and have had water accumulation from a couple of sources. 1) Check the vertical spout/tube where your centerboard cable comes up from the centerboard into the galley. 2) Check the sink drain hose for leaks from the starboard hull to the sink. I have experienced incoming water from both of these areas. I do not use my sink so I plugged my sink hose but make certain it is well plugged. Additional, I have a small amount of rain water coming in from the deck area, actually from the area where shrould cables connect to the deck plate. I assume you are plugging your ballast hole next to your in/our valve. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.