26S & 26D

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stewart

First of all thanks to Dan for answers to many of my (and others) questions.Were the 26s & 26d the forerunners to the 26x? I am still looking at which boat to buy and it seems that the prices on the s & d models are more affordable for my modest budget. How do they compare to the 26x as far as ease of trailering, launching, rigging etc ?

D

dan

www.macgregor-boats.com

Hi stewart.... Check out this site on MacGregor history. The 26S(centerboard) and 26D(daggerboard) are the same to rig/trailer/launch as the 26X. Thats ware it ends. The early Macs where displacement hull sailboats The 26X is a powerboat/sailboat hybrid planning type hull. The advantages with the 26X are powerboating to 20mph , cabin layout/headroom and ballast dump while moving. The disadvantages are more freeboard, sailing hull drag and all around poorer sailing performance than the 26S or 26D. The hull speed for the 26S is around 6-8mph max Depending on your needs pick the right boat for you. I have a 98'26X and will most likely trade it once I learn to sail it. Haven't given up on it yet! Would like a used Catalina 27 with fixed keel and inboard diesel. But....still hooked on the trailerability of the Mac to visit inland lakes and cruise shallow water. Look at boats in the water before you purchase. That will give you the answer! happy shopping........dan

Status
Not open for further replies.