26N Rear Mast Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MikeBrennan

I have 03 M with the boom crutch that also serves as the mast support for trailering or storage. This has always seemed like a shakey situation even with lateral supports. Seems to stress the whole set up at the floor of the cockpit. I now see this has been changed to a rear bar comming off the transom area. Is this new bar something that can be retrofitted onto my current M. Thanks for any info.

K

KayakDan

Should work

Mike,it should be an easy fit. I don't think there are any real structural differrences that would prohibit you from adding the new bar. My guess is that Blue Water Yachts,or Boats 4 Sail would be able to provide one for you. You also get the added benefit of a place to mount a BBQ grill,or in my case,I will be adding a solar panel. I also have a stern anchor in a PVC tube mounted to the bar.

M

MikeBrennan

26M Rear Bar

Thanks for your reply. However, I was wondering if this new stern bar is factory or aftermarket. One of the problems with the interior liner is that you can not access the deck from inside. I have a loose cleat at the rear which holds down the rudder lines. It being loose is a problem but the only way to access the bolts is to cut into the wall in the well. Who the hell wants to do that. As such, to install a transom bar would they not have to access the deck or transom from inside to install a backing plate. Mike

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Great Solution

Very good solution You,Yours - Something I should seriously consider for the future (I like it)as I also have the '03 M and had the misfortune of my pedestal snapping off at the flange due to a poor weld and stress on the pedestal. It was replaced with a better one under warranty but I have never been very comfortable with it since and refrain from using it as a grab station when sailing. I suppose one would also have to forfeit installing those cool stern rail seats also with that set-up as I see it becomes awkward to access seats with that configuration. But then again one has to question if those stern rail seats are more of a nice to have as opposed to a need. KayakDan, As for a place to mount the B-B-Q, well, those SS combo fish rod B-B-Q holders that clamp onto the stantion for $20.00 work quite nicely too, I have one. PS Y,Y - Haven't seen you at Heaths as TT lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.