25 oday centerboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wlbj21@aol.com

Ran into some shallow muck and the centerboard is stuck up. Any suggestions to get it to work again? been sailing with it up. email wlbj21@aol.com

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

If diving isn't an option . . .

is a lift? Either way you could try to simply lever the board out from below. If you choose to do this be careful because if the board is sufficiently stuck you could damage it instead of releasing it. My next idea would be to use a power washer to shoot up inside the CB trunk around the blade to try to release the mud in there. Don - is there a way to push down on the blade from above? Perhaps through the CB cable lead? Justin - O'day Owner's Web

B

Ben Allen - O'Day 26

Centerboard

Justins gave you the best advise on trying to lever it from below. You will not be able to push through the cable tube as it makes a turn just before exiting into the trunk area. You might want to give the lever method once while it is still in the water. Take a short 2x4 to place on the bottom of the hull and to lever against the wood instead of the fiberglass. Ben Allen Montgomery, Al "Wahoo" OD 26

D

Don Evans

Stuck CB

Ben and Justin, this is such a common problem, I think we will have to have a forum solely on this topic 8^). I would agree with you Ben, there appears to be a dog leg in that pennent tube, yet I have heard of others who were successful in pushing something down the hole? I certainly can't get at mine because I have closed off and rerouted the tube through the diesel engine compartment. Best bet is to dive down, or pay a scuba (or pearl ) diver, to release it. You should be able to get a pair of rubber padded vice grips on the leading edge and yank straight down. Could be more than just mud up in the slot. If there are pebbles binding that board, Justins' advice on hauling, lifting and power washing is spot on, although an expensive excercise mid season. If I only had a few weeks left of sailing I might just sail without the CB, which is possible with our stump keels, and wait for traditional haul out. I'm thinking of installing a permenant lanyard to the trailing edge of my CB, so I have something to haul down on, if it happens to me again. Don

M

Mike Stern

Dogleg?

The centerboard on my O'Day 23 stuck, and I got some great advice on how to fix it in this very forum. It was suggested to get a four foot long metal rod and push it gently through the pennant tube to free the centerboard. The rod cost $1.59 at the hardware store (four feet long, 1/4 inch diameter, rolled steel). Worked like a charm, and sure beats diving in muddy waters only to have a 50 lb. centerboard fall on your head, or paying $150 to have the boat hauled. I don't know about a dogleg in the pennant tube on the O'Day 25; I could have sworn that the guy who suggested the rod was the owner of a 25 and this is how he fixed his centerboard. Maybe the webmaster of this site has an archive of the older articles and responses. It was in the Daysailor forum from June. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.