240 center board

Aug 9, 2020
Hunter 23 Charlestown Md
Hello all…just got a 2002 Hunter 240 and just have what may seem like a silly question to those who know. The line for the center board is run about all the way out it appears. This would indicate the board is in the down position?

Aug 9, 2020
Hunter 23 Charlestown Md
Thanks for the reply …according to the diagram, it is down…good to know I didn’t motor 30 miles or so with it up

Aug 9, 2020
Hunter 23 Charlestown Md
Ok, today tried to raise center board and was very hard to winch any line up …is this board stuck?

Aug 9, 2020
Hunter 23 Charlestown Md
Went into the water today with extended boat hook and determined the center board was indeed down. Made a more successful attempt to raise it . Got it up a bit and it did indeed make the “clunk” when it went back down. Again, many thank to all who helped!

Dfed

Jul 19, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Augusta
On my 23.5 it comes up easier when I have forward motion.
curious about OP comment about glad to not motor 30 miles with the board down. When motoring, I bring my board up if I remember. The boat is stable and the board shouldn’t serve any purpose, other than drag, under motor power.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
When motoring, I bring my board up if I remember. The boat is stable and the board shouldn’t serve any purpose, other than drag, under motor power.
Raises a question: On this family of Hunter sailboats (23.5, 240, 26, 260), with such a high aspect ratio centerboard, along with not actually retracting into the hull, how much difference in drag is there with board up or down?

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
I marked my centerboard line so I know clearly when the board is all the way down.

If yours is difficult to raise, I have two theories for most common… the first and most likely is that if the line has swelled with age the added friction could be a problem.

The other is I now know at at least 3 boats, mine included, that have had damaged centerboard bracket assemblies from age and corrosion over the last couple years. In the case of my boat, the pivot holes had more than doubled in size so the pin was jamming up every time. It was like lifting an elephant. Now that I replaced my line and bracket, I can pull the board up by hand (although the winches definitely still help).