$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rick simmons

just wondering how many of you bottom paint your cat22/i have never done it myself and was wondering what an average price would be to have it done/preparation and painting/thanks

B

Bob Finley

Bottom job

The boat yard here in Oklahoma City charged me $650 for a complete bottom job which included blasting off the original coating, checking for damage, repainting boat, rudder, and keel. For this money they also had to drill out one bolt on the swing keel and replace 2 bolts. The price also included a complete inspection of the top side rigging. Since I had just bought the boat, I was extremely happy to pay a professional to do a nasty job and check everything out for me. They have the hoist to get the boat up where you can get to everything and have done hundreds of Catalina 22's. I am not sure what just the paint removal and replacement would have cost. I do know that the bottom paint is well over $100 per gallon and it takes several gallons to do the job. They got the water line correct also.

C

Chris Athanitis

I would also apply epoxy barrier coating

My suggestion is to apply Interlux epoxy barrier coat prior to painting the bottom with anti-fowling paint. My boat had barier coat on there from the original owner and it saved it's bottom. I had osmotic blistering in the barrier coat but not the gel coat. This saved me lots of $$$$ and the boat was wonderfulyy protected. I sanded everything off to a beautifull white gelcoat bottom...re-applied the epoxy barrier coat and then put on bottom paint. Its a tough job but the whole project I think was well worth it. I saw another bottom that didnt have a barrier coat and it was horribly blistered. I highly recomend this additional barrier to osmotic blistering.

J

Jim Hanebury

Bottom painting cost

Rick; seems as if I am the cheep one here by the looks of the other replies. Nelsons Marine here in Toms River charges $10.00 a foot to clean and paint the bottom. Winter hauling, power washing, storage, and dropping in next year runs around $400.00. I think mabye I'll ask them regarding the barrier coat and what not. Jim Hanbeury C-22 "Laura B" Toms River NJ

M

MJ

$10-$15/Foot with a light sanding...

in Maryland which depends on which type of paint you use and the marina. I did it myself last spring on my C-27. I applied 2 coats with one gallon of Micron Extra. You will really need only one gallon. I recommend getting the best ablative paint like Micron Extra. It will last at least two seasons. As with any paint job the preparation is the key, and make sure you know what type of paint you are painting over and whether the new paint is rated to cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.