21 mac venture

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Gluvna

I just bought a 21 and it looks in great shaped but has not been sailed in 7 years..it is a 1976....i am thinking of painting it instead of going through hours and hours of rubbing, etc . to restore the finish...any thoughts on that? Also, the motor mount is missing parts and i talked to dealers and they said forget it and buy a new one....around $100...probably a good idea? what about ropes...after seven years, should they be replaced. It has been outdoors in Ohio weather, but they seem pretty sturdy....i joined a sailing club and will go to a welcome meeting Friday. That will help....also got a slip for the boat in Lorain's harbor. It has a 6hp johnson outboard...sails are in good shape...

D

Doug Rodrigues

Poli-Glow

Yup...different boat and different port again. Anyway, I went the cheap way for refinish and just used Poly-Glow. I started off with a Scotch Brite Pad first to remove stains. There is a technique you develop for applying it so as not to leave thick strings of the product on your finish. It makes the surface look like new gel coat, well, almost. www.poliglowproducts.com

J

Jon

paint it

I, too, recently bought a v 21, 1971 model. I decided to paint it and it turned out pretty great (I think). I used west marine's primer and sea gloss paint. Only needed one coat of each, although a second of the paint would probably be smart if I wen't so lazy. Mine had a really think layer of old bottom paint that I tried at first to remove, then gave up and painted right over with the west bottom paint (2 coats). It looks really good and didn't take much effort. Now all I have to do is learn to sail...

A

Al

motor mount

I just replace my motor mount. I got a 12" x 24" 3/4" white starboard. I cut three pieces using the old mount as a template. Then I used a strong glue to glue the peices togather. I was fortunate to have a shop that had a ban saw and big sander. Also let me know what kind of paint you use, because I am going to paint my boat soon. Al

J

Joe Gluvna

reply to reply to 21 mac venture

thanks for the help....i checked around and it is extremely difficult to find an original mount, so a bought one for $100. should work fine...Joe

J

Joe Gluvna

re[;y to Jon of Ches.

thanks for the information...i bought a kit for $50 and it worked fin...vertglass, i think, was the name....pretty easy to do and the original blue came back..not totally, but nice...I am in the same boat with you, no pun intended. Have never sailed before...at least on my own..Joe

J

Jon

good luck

I hope to make my first attempts (with the help of someone who knows what they are doing) next month. I just receive a jib sail kit, which I now need to sew. Then a few touch up things and off to the bay. I hope. Good luck with your project. jon

N

New sailor

Hey Venture !

Good luck with your venture. I'm looking to put mine in the water shortly. If you know where I can get an owners manual please let me know. Would like to set it up as originally intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.