21 Day Cruise

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I'm heading off on a 21 day cruise, following my other boating passion - river running. I built Wild Child in 2018-2019 and and ran the Colorado through the Grand Canyon in September 2019. We're leaving in a couple of days to do it again. I am a fortunate man - this will be my 6th time down.

Tosca is jealous but I promised her a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island next summer, with no calendar restrictions. We'll take as much time as it takes. She seemed skeptical, but accepted the promise.

2019-09-11 15.11.46.rs.jpg

G0022813.JPG

G0022812.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now this was deep in the canyon with only donkey to carry you up to the rim?

What did you do?

termites?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Wow, that was a big hit. Must have been a hard emotional blow to see such damage to that beautiful labor of love. I assume you chambered the boat when you built it so after the holing it stayed relatively afloat?

You've probably read "The Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko. After reading it I was a bit obsessed with running the Grand Canyon. Never have made it happen though. I've floated some sections of the Green River in Utah and that was amazing.

Nov 21, 2012
Now this was deep in the canyon with only donkey to carry you up to the rim?

What did you do?

termites?
It happened very deep in the canyon, a few miles past Phantom Ranch in Horn Rapid. There is no hiking out from there. It was late because some of the group dawdled at Phantom sending postcards and such. It was around 5:30 or 6 when we scouted the rapid; it was already getting dark. I went first and misjudjed the crosscurrent. Went into a big hole at the top, got buried, came out upright but heading towards a rock wall at warp speed. Almost got tossed out, but grabbed the bimini frame and held on. I knew were holed and luckily there was a small sand beach below the rapid. I rowed to shore: it was a bit of a race. Other boats in the group fared a little better, but not everyone came though upright or in their boat.

We made camp at another, bigger beach just downstream. I then had a beer and slept on it. The beach, not the boat. The next morning I sacrificed the plywood sleeping board that goes across the footwell at night, and screwed and epoxied it to the hole, then taped the edges with Flextape. I mixed up more epoxy and covered the hole in the bottom with 10oz glass. Then I covered that with more Flextape. I was careful not to use it all, since we were only at mile 90, and the takeout was at mile 280.

The Flextape kept most of the water out for the rest of the trip. Amazing stuff. Tenacious, too. It was really difficult to remove. Pro tip: use a propane torch and heated metal scraper to get the Flextape off. I wished I had known that after 5 hours of trying to take it off with a variety of solvents. No go.

These things happen when running wooden boats through the canyon. Preparation is key, as it is on a sailboat. For a truly great story, pick up "The Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko.

Nov 21, 2012
Wow, that was a big hit. Must have been a hard emotional blow to see such damage to that beautiful labor of love. I assume you chambered the boat when you built it so after the holing it stayed relatively afloat?

You've probably read "The Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko. After reading it I was a bit obsessed with running the Grand Canyon. Never have made it happen though. I've floated some sections of the Green River in Utah and that was amazing.
Yeah, it hurt. Both because I blew the rapid and because it's a lot of damage. Frame splintered, bulkhead crushed, hole in the bottom. We'll see what having a few inches of water inside for a couple of weeks does to the hull.

Emerald Mile is a great book, for so many reasons. This was my 6th time down. It does get to be an obsession. I need to go back and run it clean, the "golden run".

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great story. I look forward to hearing more over some wine, perhaps in Port Ludlow bay. Wooden boats are to be used. Using them will eventually break or damage them. The medium is forgiving. With work and ingenuity it can again be made whole.

Sounds like it was an exciting time. As long as the body holds up to the abuse, I expect you will be splashing down the river again.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
@mermike should do a commercial for Flextape. That’s amazing! Please share permanent repair details with us including photos. Is the build planked or are there sections of plywood? Will you scarf in new plywood or replace whole sections?
Also please share details of design. I’m interested in flotation, storage of supplies and the form of the hull relating to its ability to run rapids.
I read a book re some guys who pioneered using wooden dory type boats to run a Grand Canyon tour company - I don’t remember the title or author. They were always repairing the boats. One of the principals ran the river in exceptionally high water for the record but came pretty close to buying the farm in doing so. A great read!

Nov 21, 2012
@mermike should do a commercial for Flextape. That’s amazing! Please share permanent repair details with us including photos. Is the build planked or are there sections of plywood? Will you scarf in new plywood or replace whole sections?
Also please share details of design. I’m interested in flotation, storage of supplies and the form of the hull relating to its ability to run rapids.
I read a book re some guys who pioneered using wooden dory type boats to run a Grand Canyon tour company - I don’t remember the title or author. They were always repairing the boats. One of the principals ran the river in exceptionally high water for the record but came pretty close to buying the farm in doing so. A great read!
Repairs won't happen until spring. It takes a while to dry out the boat after soaking in the river for a couple of weeks.

Construction is Hydrotek plywood over Port Orford cedar frames. 1/4" on the sides and 1/2" on the bottom. The deck and hatch lids are 3/8". The bottom is covered with 17 oz. biaxial fiberglass. The entire exterior of the hull was then covered with 10 oz glass. There is no glass inside the hull to prevent rot from occurring.

The bow, front cross hatch, 2 side-hatches, rear cross hatch and the stern hatch are all independently sealed and are mostly watertight. The collision pierced the front cross and right side hatches. We weren't going to sink, but getting to shore was going to get harder as the compromised hatches filled with water. We were 8 days into a 20 day trip, so the hatches were pretty full to begin with.

I built the boat with Brad Dimock at his boatshop, Fretwater Boatworks in Flagstaff. Brad is an author, Grand Canyon guide with over 300 trips, boatbuilder and designer, and raconteur extraordinaire. He worked for Martin Litton and Grand Canyon Dories. He still guides a trip or 2 a year. He and fellow guide Andy Hutchinson built and rowed the replica boats for the Nat Geo re-enactment of Powell's trip down the Colorado. If you'd like to build a dory, he and/or his protégé Cricket Rust teach a class at the Wooden Boat School in Brooklin, Maine every summer. He's also teaching a class this fall at Lowell's Boat Shop in Amesbury MA.

Brad is going to lead the repairs, as the damage is pretty extensive. I left her in Flagstaff, where she's drying out in Brad's attic with a number of historic river dories. I imagine she'll be an eager listener as the older boats share their tales.

Last edited: