2016 Season Improvements

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Each Spring I seem to add something to my "Ophelia" that is not absolutely needed, but lets me try something new.

This season I am adding an Ullman Cruising Asymmetrical Spinnaker — ordered last fall for the discount and arrived last week. Originally I intended to use a snuffer and it arrived first last November.

Other than some blocks and rope, it was going to be a relatively "not so expensive" Spring but then while trying to see exactly how to attach the tack to the bow, I got to see how a top-down furler worked and how much more ease it would bring to my short-handed sailing.

I participate in club racing and local pursuits. But it is only a way to practice my sailing skills with a bunch of other boats. The "serious" racers provide a wonder example of how to do things right. The others are encouraged to simply use the excuse to enjoy their time on the water sailing. Most improve!

Now back to the top-down furler "extras":

I selected the Selden GX7.5 furler from Hyde Sails Direct (http://www.hydesailsdirect.com). They had the best pricing and Judy B gave me much advice to add the Selden adjustable swivel. Because the furler needed to be on a bowsprit and the Ullman Cruising Asymmetrical Spinnaker was expected to be attached at the bow, the spinnaker should have been made a little bit longer. The adjustable swivel gives me sufficient control of the tack height.

I found another site for purchasing the Selden Bowsprit. Most places had a very high shipping fee (it does come in a large tube). Landfall Navigation (http://www.landfallnavigation.com) not only had an excellent price, they also had free shipping for items over $150. It shipped direct from Selden's warehouse and was here in a few days!

Now that the snow season is probably over, I will be assembling the new items while "Ophelia" is still on her trailer. This will be fun!

Mar 11, 2014
This you will enjoy!
Mounting the Bow sprint will take some time and a partner when you get it positioned as the ring will likely be mounted forward of the v berth inspection hatch. For proper clearance of the stem head I raised the attachment points a 1/2 inch using starboard.
Good luck and Great sailing