2016 h31 leaks

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Hi,
I'm potentially interested in a 2016 Marlow Hunter 31near me for many reasons, but a few things on this particular one concern me. The PO installed a rain rail gutter of sorts over the stern hatch doors, leading me to suspect these spots are very vulnerable to rain. Also, the gorgeous long windows obviously leak where the two pieces are joined by a black caulk bead. There has been an obvious attempted repair with many screws (assume screws were not part of original window install) and less-than-perfect new caulk job which is showing cracks. The wood laminate on the port side is delaminated, and the back of the galley cabinets to starboard are bulging out. Buying a boat with known leaks is easier for me to digest if it's an old boat, and would probably be easier to mitigate if the leaks were coming from conventional standard portlights.....

Was this a design flaw with this model, or is it just this particular one that has the defect? What would it cost to fix it right? I love the idea of the canting transform! But is this moving part susceptible to problems? How is it to single hand? Anything else to watch out for with the new h31?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............Also, the gorgeous long windows obviously leak where the two pieces are joined by a black caulk bead............Was this a design flaw with this model, or is it just this particular one that has the defect? ..............How is it to single hand? Anything else to watch out for with the new h31?
Leak issues on other later model Marlow Hunter sailboats discussed in this thread.

Hunter sailboats that size are easy to single handle, in my experience. Any other potential issues can/should be identified by a marine surveyor.

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Banooma, the new Hunter 31's look like they have a great layout down below. Is the boat you're looking at listed on yachtworld? Any discount considering the damage?