2014 Hunter 22 Drain

Oct 25, 2006
-Hunter -22 Washington, North Carolina
howdy folks!

Just bought a 2014 Hunter 22 yesterday- as is customary, Hunter documentation is a little light on detail. It says there is a drain plug on the transom (as if this boat even has a transom lol!) Does anyone know if this boat has a bilge drain? And yes, i looked on what little transom there is hahaha!

matt

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
howdy folks!

Just bought a 2014 Hunter 22 yesterday- as is customary, Hunter documentation is a little light on detail. It says there is a drain plug on the transom (as if this boat even has a transom lol!) Does anyone know if this boat has a bilge drain? And yes, i looked on what little transom there is hahaha!

matt
I assume you are asking about this

73FD73F1-1B69-4444-A06F-7D6B17EE5D21.jpeg

I could be mistaken but I don’t think there is any “drain plug”. I know my 216 doesn’t have one. The cockpit drains through the centreboard slot or I guess if you get really wild out the back :)

If I get water “inside” the boat it’s a manual bailing effort.

You could ask @curt in CO to confirm as I know he has/had one

The 22 manual is sort of a kluge of the original Hunter 22 with a new cover page and some drawings of your “new” Hunter 22.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Welcome aboard Matt

Have you found the companion site "Hunterowners.com"? There is a resource link there that has manuals and other useful stuff.

Oct 25, 2006
-Hunter -22 Washington, North Carolina
hey thanks all.

i remember i once dropped a screw driver into the lint filter receptacle of a dryer. i turned the machine upside down and it fell out. guess turning a hunter 22 upside down might be a bit tough. manual bailing it is... thanks Hunter216!

thanks rgranger, i'll check out hunterowners.com! thanks for the advice!!

mattmo

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The 216 has a bit of a “design” problem that I think the 22 shares that contributes to water “inside”.

The mast as you know levers up into a notch in the cuddy “roof”. To close it up you put the hatch board in and then the “lid” goes on.

This leaves a gap around the mast where rain can run down the mast and get inside or if you have a driving rain you could get some through where the hatch boards meet.

The 216 has a canvas snap on cover available here at the SBO store that goes around the mast and snaps on the lid. Makes a big difference in keeping water out.

What does get in seems to pool at the centre board trunk. I just use a sponge and a bucket to deal with it.

The 22 might take in a little water if you have the bowsprit as it exits the bow, the 216 sprit is mounted on the deck.

I would suggest you take care of the hydraulic centreboard lift, kinda pricey to replace. Lots of threads on that topic here.

Fun boat! :) Did you get an asym with it?

Last edited: