2013 Newport Beach to Ensenada, Baja Mexico Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Attitude Adjustment 2 participated once again in the Non-spin cruising class in the annual Ensenada race. This was my 8th start after getting a dispensation from my wife so I could participate during our wedding anniversary. It costs me, however. Anyhow, this year's 125 nautical mile race (typically 135+ sailed) was a record for us, finishing in less than 24 hours. That was good enough for a second elapsed in class and third adjusted on PHRF. Missed second on adjusted by a minute, 20 seconds. (If I had just sailed closer to the rhumb line....etc) Great fun, averaging 5.7 knots. Unusual too in that that was 14 hours faster than ever for us. Usually, it is a drifter at night.

This year, I stayed for a month. My wife drove down and we explored. Terrific time and a needed diet now was worth it. The Mexican local economy seems to be picking back up and the violence fears are subsiding. BTW, the local wines are good and a few boutique beer makers are cropping up.

Here's a couple of photos. The pre-start has us on the left, sail no 46480. The drag race at the start has me on the right (with too much twist in the jib). The finish has me on the bow working as a human whisker pole, too lazy to set it up for the last mile.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.