2009 Beneteau 40 rubber cutlass bearing.

Nov 6, 2011
beneteau 40 Victoria
I have just had the bearing replaced. Unlike many boats it's a rubber sleeve held in by friction and a couple of "plastic" screws. The end of the sleeve has a sort of lip on it that butts up against the stern tube when fully inserted.
It hasn't been pushed all the way in ... about 1/8 inch left between this lip and the stern tube ... apparently wouldn't go in any further. Also the usual "plastic" screws were not used .... looks like have used stainless.
Does any of this matter?
Hard to get info from Beneteau now that wonderful Marion, South Carolina spare parts group shut down
Thanks for any opinion.
JohnB40

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’m pretty sure mine has stainless screws, so maybe they changed that over time. I’m surprised the lip doesn’t go all the way to the stern tube though. That doesn’t seem right. Did you glcheck if the new one is the same length as the old?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I just replaced mine…… it’s a tight fit. Helps to put a little grease on the bearing when putting into place. I heard one shut gently sanded the outside a bit to make it fit better. I greased
Mine lightly and got it fully in. In regards to the screws, mine are stainless. Make sure the holes are drilled into the bearing deep enough to hold it in place. The holes that are fabricated into it did not match my set screw holes in the stern tube. It’s not held in place by friction……. Friction will be put on the shaft and may tear the bearing.

Gods luck
Greg

Nov 6, 2011
beneteau 40 Victoria
Thanks folks. A company at our marina put the bearing in.
My concern is, will it cause problems not being properly seated.
Cheers
JohnB40

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
My bearing seated fully. I seem to remember that there were two different lengths available, I would consider removing the bearing and verifying that there is nothing in the way. Verify new bearing length = old bearing length, Then consider trimming 1/8" off of new bearing. Reduction in bearing area is not significant.