2007 H38 - Wiring diagrams

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I'm looking for real, detailed wiring diagrams for my boat (ie not the next to useless ones in the manual so please don't post those links or pages). I need something that actually details individual wires and color codes. The sort of thing you'd see in a decent auto maintenance manaual.

Specifically I'm repurposing the space where the silly Bose sound system went and I find a lot of unused but terminated wiring back there. I'm installing a wifi router, changing to a 12v TV, installing a bluetooth enabled radio, possibly putting a Pi back there etc.

There is a bundle of wires, red/yellow, yellow, yellow/red, white/black, white/red, white/yellow, white/brown and two additional non-bundled wires white/blue and white/black.

The yellow is ground, the yellow/red is always on +12v, the red/yellow is switched by the "entertainment" breaker (which I am re-purposing strictly for inverter control), the others I have no clue and ABYC standard color codes don't help.

Anyone?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The world of boat electrical is just not to the level of standard that you desire.

Having the poor Hunter manual is 50 times better than none. You have a 2007 Hunter 38. I’m guessing you bought it in 2021 or so.

The best I can offer you is help tracing the lines that are on your boat previously installed by Hunter, or an owner without the ABYC manual.

The phone industry has used tone generator’s to trace unidentified lines for eons. Put it on a yellow line and see where it leads. The tone receiver can be a no contact or a contact design. Use yellow because it is more likely to be connected to ground and the red wire just maybe attached to the battery.

It is a tedious but sure way to locate wires that you cannot visually trace.

This one is a Fluke. Found on Amazon
1659367291316.png

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
The world of boat electrical is just not to the level of standard that you desire.

Having the poor Hunter manual is 50 times better than none. You have a 2007 Hunter 38. I’m guessing you bought it in 2021 or so.

The best I can offer you is help tracing the lines that are on your boat previously installed by Hunter, or an owner without the ABYC manual.

The phone industry has used tone generator’s to trace unidentified lines for eons. Put it on a yellow line and see where it leads. The tone receiver can be a no contact or a contact design. Use yellow because it is more likely to be connected to ground and the red wire just maybe attached to the battery.

It is a tedious but sure way to locate wires that you cannot visually trace.

This one is a Fluke. Found on Amazon
View attachment 207846
Thanks John and yeah, I figured lol. Thought I'd try though. These are original wires, installed neatly in conduit and properly capped off.

I have one of those things, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I tend to have better luck just wiggling things :)

Aug 4, 2021
Hunter 38 Solomons
Agreed, having a Hunter manual is better than having none. When it comes to the electrical sections in the undated h38 Operators Manual (V1.102506 • P/N 1031383), some basic operational details about the circuit breaker panels -- like the proper usage of the Line 1 and Line 2 lock-out breakers should have been explained. Having actual schematics and wire lists (with color-coding is better, of course). And you are in luck, sort-of, with your Hunter 38. Before I post links to schematics, some background, a caution, and a warning:

Background: We have a 2009 Hunter 38 (two previous owners) new to us in 2020. Best I can tell, no significant electrical work or modifications by previous owners, though something was done electrically with the auto-pilot at the drive mechanism. The work was not quite professional, but not terrible (the wires were not fully secured using tie-wraps). Our Battery Switch Panel (below the Nav Station Seat) does not match any of the photos in the h38 Operators Manual nor the schematics (linked below). There is minor rub damage to some of the wires as if in removing/replacing the Battery Switch Panel those wires were dragged against the wooden frame to which the panel is mounted. Regardless, until October 2022, all electrical systems worked as they should. The Sinergex PureSine600 inverter, which powered the Bose 3-2-1 system (and was powering the original small TV) failed. Good luck finding any information on that Inverter and how it was wired by Hunter. It was not wired in accordance with AYBC standards in that the power to the stereo and TV were not in conduit, though the DC input to the inverter was properly installed (and connected to the Entertainment circuit breaker on the DC panel). (The inverter failure indication--besides loss of AC power out) was a DC input fault; however, I could not find any problems with my DC power so simply assumed the 12-year-old inverter died). My search for a replacement led me to a 2000 watt Renogy pure sine wave inverter (It is not marine-grade, but should suffice for my environment). All that required research and some rewiring that relied heavily on the schematics linked below. My original plan was to rewire the circuit breakers for the 700 watt microwave oven and the starboard AC outlets (Outlet 2 on the Line 1 AC circuit breaker panel) to be fed by the new inverter. The new inverter was mounted under the Nav seat to accommodate very short AWG 1/0 cables to a new high amperage circuit breaker on the Battery Switch Panel and DC ground buss bar, plus easier routing of the hard-wired AC output to the AC breaker panel. Revised plan--not yet implemented--is to wire the new inverter to the Generator circuit breakers as I do not have a built-in generator. Still doing wire tracing for that plan.

Caution: The wiring schematics that I found in this forum are titled, "38 Schematics 12/1/2005"; 28 pages. The Hunter draftsperson labeled the drawings professionally, but note that the drawings are marked with various dates and Hunter models 38 or 41. The point being, one may assume the wiring between the Hunter 38 and Hunter 41 of that era are very similar or even the same, BUT one should verify by physically checking the schematics against the wiring on your boat.

Warning: if you are not schooled in electricity and reading schematics, seek certified professional help. The electricity on your boat can kill you. Example: testing an inverter with a volt-meter or polarity checker (like those that tell you if the Hot, Neutral, and Ground lines are wired correctly) may indicate that there is no AC coming out of your inverter. That may be true in that those test instruments do not present a significant load on the AC circuit. BUT: touch the Hot and Neutral or Ground wires with your bare fingers and you may receive a deadly electrical shock. That is because most modern inverters have a demand sensing circuit that will turn on the 115 Volts AC output based on the resistance your body presents to the circuit, which is far greater than that of a volt-meter or polarity checker. Always put a circuit breaker between your DC battery and your inverter and always turn that circuit breaker off before working on the AC circuits.

Schematics, mind the caveats above and BE CAREFUL: https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_38_29572510.pdf

Mar 8, 2019
ODay 322 Bodkin Creek, Chesapeake Bay
You just can not trust wiring schematics or colors in older boats without truly checking their power sources and what else has been added to the circuit. That said, here are the ABYC standards for the coloring of low voltage boat wiring:

Aug 4, 2021
Hunter 38 Solomons
Marlow-hunter does maintain some additional info. - this may apply to your year.

Pdf from 2005 has some schematic info on entertainment system.
Thanks TWalker H260. Looks like the same document as I referenced above; however, the expanded list of individual documents on the Marlow-Hunter site is appreciated. The color coded charts from Tin Kicker also appreciated. I will be printing and placing in my Operators Manual for future reference.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Thanks TWalker H260. Looks like the same document as I referenced above; however, the expanded list of individual documents on the Marlow-Hunter site is appreciated. The color coded charts from Tin Kicker also appreciated. I will be printing and placing in my Operators Manual for future reference.
Thanks everyone appreciate the help