2005 Hunter 31 or 1992 Hunter 37.5 Legend?

Jun 30, 2024
LookingToPurchase CurrentlyLooking To Purchase Toronto
Hi.
This may sound, or be, a strange question. :)

If a 2005 Hunter 31 and a 1992 Hunter 37.5 legend were a similar price which would you buy?

I'm a single person , great lakes based, looking for a cruising (short term -1-3 years?) ,and longer, a liveaboard solution.

What are thoughts?
Thanks in advance,

Tony

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The Legend 37.5 will be a lot more boat, heavier displacement, more room.

I just spent a week on my 32’ boat (O’Day 322) and found it a bit small after a week. Part of the time at the marina and a few days on the hook). The Hunter 31, while a nice sailing boat, is going to seem more like a day-sailer.

Greg

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
A few thoughts:

- If it were just for cruising, I’d recommend the 31 every time. Easier to recover the anchor by hand, easier to single hand, easier to maneuver into the slip. (the force on the lines of the 37.5 in a normal wind precludes trimming by hand.) The 31 has great room for cruising with a crew of 4. We have cruised a week with 4 a number of times on our 27.

- A good rule of thumb is that operation and maintenance costs go up with the square of the length. That implies that annual cost of the 37.5 will be around 46% higher than the 31.

- The key is how will you feel in the space? Especially if you are living aboard? Get on both boats if you can - or on similar sized boats. We (the Admiral and I) have chartered 37 footers many times. To us, they feel like a lot of wasted space. To Greg, the 31 footer feels like a day sailor. Your feel for the boat is unique to you.

- If you buy the 31, you can always upgrade to a larger boat. Sailboats tend to hold their value reasonably well.

In any case, good luck on your acquisition. We have loved our 24 seasons cruising Lake Erie (and Huron up to the North Channel and Mackinac.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
- A good rule of thumb is that operation and maintenance costs go up with the square of the length. That implies that annual cost of the 37.5 will be around 46% higher than the 31.
:plus: Thanks, I did not know the mathematical formula.
I do know that the boat price is a one time cost.
The moorage fees are for as long as you have the boat. A 37.5 foot boat will occupy a 40 ft slip. 75% of the Marina is set up for boats 30 ft and less. It is more difficult to find a slip for a 37.5 ft boat. When they are available they earn a premium price from the Marina.
Boats are a compromise proposal. Choose wisely.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah but… living aboard is all about having stuff stored and out of the way. Smaller boat living aboard is always having to move something to get to what you want. Very annoying!
I’ve been on larger boats with clutter and smaller without. But I’m just more comfortable with elbow room.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Living aboard a small boat is having no room for 3 suits, 6 ties, 4 pairs of shoes and not really caring. :laugh: