2004 331 - Refrigerator drain hose access

Oct 27, 2023
Beneteau 331 Mount Sinai
The refrigerator drain line on my Oceanis 331 fell off the drain fitting. I have crawled around the boat looking for access to re-attach it no avail. Short of having to remove multiple panels in the galley, I was thinking to cut an access panel out to repair it. Any thoughts? I really don't like the drain water and possible food leakage going into the bilge.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Never understood why some boat manufacturers put a drain in the bottom of a refrigerator.
My suggestion is to simply plug the hole and wipe up whatever might spill rather than provide a means of cold air to escape which decreases efficiency. FWIW…

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Exactly as @Don S/V ILLusion describes. I have a stopper in the outlet 100% of the time. The most likely use for the drain is to remove water from melted ice ...................... which is highly uncommon in refrigerators. More so in ice boxes.

Which do you have ?

Oct 27, 2023
Beneteau 331 Mount Sinai
I do have a Chest Style - top loading Refrigerator. I like the idea for a day / weekend sail to dump 20 pounds of ICE into the bottom for quick cooling of beverages but have stopped that since the drain line fell off. I currently have the drain hole plugged as suggested. It would be nice to get the drain back in operation as it is connected to a pump to send the melt water over board.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Never understood why some boat manufacturers put a drain in the bottom of a refrigerator.
[QUOTE="Ralph Johnstone, post: 1802487, member: 73635The most likely use for the drain is to remove water from melted ice ...................... which is highly uncommon in refrigerators. More so in ice boxes.
[/QUOTE]

The factory configuration is an ice box with an Adler refrigeration unit. Can be used either way, thus the placement of a drain. The drain line is connected to an overboard sump pump. I spent approximately 40 non-consecutive charter days on a 331. The drain works well (when the hose is attached!) for dewatering melted ice & when cleaning the ice box.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
It would be nice to get the drain back in operation as it is connected to a pump to send the melt water over board.
That is a tough problem. Can you access the bottom of the ice box from the port lazarette or the forward aspect of the icebox wood cabinet where a vent is located near the floor? Least desirable option is to use a hole saw to remove the existing drain, reattach the hose using double hose clamps, and glass it back into the bottom of the icebox.

Oct 27, 2023
Beneteau 331 Mount Sinai
I tried coming in from the port lazareete - I can see where the drain line routes under the engine to the starboard side of the boat but there is not enough room. There is no vent on the 331 that I can access - I think my best bet is to create one - it would be nice to have ventilation under the fridge area anyway. I can always start with a pilot hole and spot camera to look for surprises before creating a larger opening.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
There is no vent on the 331 that I can access - I think my best bet is to create one - it would be nice to have ventilation under the fridge area anyway. I can always start with a pilot hole and spot camera to look for surprises before creating a larger opening.
Fairly certain that the 331 that I chartered had rectangular vent that ran the full length of the forward side of the icebox cabinet; it was at the bottom of the cabinet & to the floor. Good idea to do some exploration before cutting for a full sized vent, to visualize if a vent hole would provide adequate clearance to re-attach the drain line. Good luck!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
My suggestion is to simply plug the hole and wipe up whatever might spill rather than provide a means of cold air to escape which decreases efficiency. FWIW…
I did just that….. stuck a rubber plug in the drain holes in freezer and refrigerator. When cleaning or defrosting freezer with hot water, wife just scoops/sponges it out.

Greg
s/v Souleil