2003 Catalina 36 Propane Tank

Apr 27, 2022
Catalina 36 MKII Havre de Grace, MD
I would like to purchase an extra propane tank for our 2003 Catalina 36 MKII - tall rig. It has a Hillerange 2 burner propane stove with oven. Does anyone have any experience replacing or buying a propane tank for this sailboat? I can't seem to find any info about the propane tank in my Catalina owners manual or even the owners manual for the stove.

Propane Tank SeaWard 2022.jpg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Suggest removing the tank and measure the height circumference, then calculate the outside diameter (OD = circumference / π, where π = 3.14159) then do an internet search on propane tanks that fit those dimensions. That way you are sure to purchase the correct size. It looks like an aluminum tank. You can buy one from any number of marine chandleries like Aluminum LPG Cylinders - Vertical - Worthington Cylinders | Fisheries Supply.

Last edited:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Or just take it out and read all the stamped information you will find in the guard around the valve.

Items like propane tanks, batteries, light bulbs etc are all standard and not purpose made for any boat.

The Worthington (or equivalent) website has specifications and drawings available on line.

If you are going to buy aluminum shop around because they are pricey. I just replaced one and found prices vary by up to $150. Got mine at a friendly local hardware store.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Looks about the same as the 5 pound tank Beneteau uses. Beneteau sells them for $123, but Google finds this one from Walmart online for $70 - Robot or human?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
What size tank?
if you don’t know, just take it to any gas supply place and they can sell you a replacement. The tank isn’t boat model specific.