2001 Hunter 320

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2009
2 320 Kelowna
I recently purchased this boat, the "Tiramisu" and am enjoying doing the TLC to get her in tip top shape. I need to replace the on/off plunger cable that shuts down the Yanmar deisel and at the same time I would like to replace the Morris MV-2 control cables. Can anybody give me the specifications for these cables such as manufacturer and type etc or let me know where I can get that info. There is no dealer in my area.

I also sent an email to Hunter asking them to recommend the maximum size of foresail that can be used on my rigging. It's been months and I have'nt received a reply. The jib is on a Furlex 100 and I'm wondering it's capacity. Also how large a sail can I use without it contacting the spreaders? If anyone can provide some knowledge I would be grateful. Thanks. Richard

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Nice boat, and welcome ot the forum. I'm not 100% sure, but check in the Ask the Guest Expert forum where Glenn Henderson answered questions on his designs on the Hunters etc. and he did have some discussions on the headsails for fractional rigs.

Ask the Expert Forum

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
The furlex 100 is rated for a boat of maximum 30 ft in length. Furlex and Hunter figured they could get away with it as the h320 carried a very small headsail. We had a failure on it as the tack ring broke in 30 knot winds. Furlex was very good in replacing the whole furler drum free of charge which we could see had be redesigned and reinforced but we were stuck with the installation. The redesigned part has a much larger tack ring. Would not recommend adding additional sail unless you verify which model you have. Ours is a 2000 model h320.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I second the advice to ask the experts. You should consider that if your boat has a fractional rig rather than a masthead forestay rig, the mainsail provides most of the power. If you add too large a jib the rig may be unbalanced and overpowered.
FYI, I have a Furlex 200S with a 100% jib on my 2000 H340.

B

Bruce Leblanc

foresail replacement

I have a 2000 Hunter 320 and replaced my foresail two seasons ago. I basically built the max sail size for the boat without changing the track arrangement on the cabin deck. I used a sailmaker out of Wickford, RI called Haarstick and their salesman met me at the boat and measured the size to allow for the leech of the sail to come close to but not touch the spreaders when close hauled and to have the foot of the sail to come within a foot or so to the block on the cabin top when adjusted full forward.

What a differance this made with perofmance. I always had a lot of weather helm in heavy winds becuase the full roached main was overpowering for the stock 110 sail that came with the boat. It now sails more balanced and I was so pleased with the sail construction that had Haarstick build me a new mainsail a year later and went to four full battens and loose foot design. I am very happy with the boats performance now. I have owned the boat since new 2001 and have logged over 4,400 miles of sailing out of Bristol, RI.

Best of luck to you but don't be afraind of the furler, it will handle the addiditonal sail area just fine.

I recently purchased this boat, the "Tiramisu" and am enjoying doing the TLC to get her in tip top shape. I need to replace the on/off plunger cable that shuts down the Yanmar deisel and at the same time I would like to replace the Morris MV-2 control cables. Can anybody give me the specifications for these cables such as manufacturer and type etc or let me know where I can get that info. There is no dealer in my area.

I also sent an email to Hunter asking them to recommend the maximum size of foresail that can be used on my rigging. It's been months and I have'nt received a reply. The jib is on a Furlex 100 and I'm wondering it's capacity. Also how large a sail can I use without it contacting the spreaders? If anyone can provide some knowledge I would be grateful. Thanks. Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.