20 or 25 inch shaft outboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marc_B

For several reasons, I'm looking at replacing the outboard on my 240. I'm interested to hear if folks think a long (20 inch) or extra-long (25 inch) shaft is better. There's a cost difference involved, so any thoughts would be helpful. (Crazy Dave - Do you set up your boats with 20 inch shafts?) I suspect most folks have 20 inch shaft outboards. If any of you could do it over, would you buy an extra-long? If anyone has a 25 inch shaft outboard, do you think it was worth it? For this discussion, I suspect 23.5's, 240's and 260's would be comparable. Thanks for the input. Marc_B

J

Jim

long shafts

The deeper you can plant the prop in the water, the better off you will be , especially when the chop starts to hit you. regards, jim

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
I agree..deeper is better

This is especially true when powering downwind in waves. The prop will come out of the water as the bow goes down. Peter H23 "Raven"

J

John H380 1999

You can go one step further

I had a 25 that came with an extra long shaft and I still had the problem of the prop coming out of the water. So when it was time to replace the outboard, I got a extra long shaft and and added a 5" extension and it worked great. Never came out of the water under any circumstances. It was a Merc 15 hp. Best I can remember, the extension was around $150 in addition to the new engine.

R

Rick Webb

I'd Go With the Extra Long Shaft

I have a 23.5 with the long shaft. The extra five inches would have been welcome on more than one occasion though I cannot think of any time where it would have been a necessity. Most often it was needed when trying to motor sail on a port tack to make a bridge or to get out of the way of a barge.

A

Alan Long

I have one

On my 23.5 with 9.9 Honda. We sail the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay and I rarely pull the prop out of the water. I'd vote for getting the extra long shaft. Alan Long

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Prevent Motor Getting Swamped

While much of the concern is about the prop coming out of the water another concern with outboards is the motor getting swamped from a following wave. The newer outboards may be somewhat better at protecting the engine from water coming up from underneath but on older outboards there were openings under the cover where water could easily get into the engine area. I don't use an outboard except on my dink and it's an older one so I don't know how the newer ones are at closing off access from water. Since air still has to get in I suppose there still has to be openings. Anyway, this is one more justification for a longer shaft to get the motor head higher above the water to prevent getting swamped.

B

Brian Paul-SV Unicorn

Go long!

I have an older Johnson "Sailmaster" 7.5 hp and I depend on it . So far, it has worked for me even in a heavy chop.

R

Ron Mehringer

Measuring shaft length?

Between what two points do you measure to determine shaft length? In my case I want to figure out which Honda 4 Stroke 15 I have. Ron Mehringer s/v Hydro-Therapy

F

Frank Sears

I agree- The Deeper the Better

When the waves pick up and the boat starts to pitch, it's a pain in the butt if your prop is popping out of the water every couple seconds.

J

Jeff Peltier

To answer Ron's question

The measurement is from the transom plate to the fin above the prop. This measurement will very slightly from manufacture to manufacture. My only other comment is, although the 25" would be preferable, Hunters motor mount, at least on the 260's is somewhat marginal and the extra torque created by 5" more leverage might require a little beefing up. Jeff Peltier

D

david smith

long shaft

I have a 240 and have just sold the Johnson 6hp short shaft as it kept lifting out of the water in a chop. Am buying an 8hp long shaft. Don't know what brand yet, whether Yamaha or Tohatsu.

M

Michael C.

Hunter sells beefed up motor mount brackets

Gregg Emerson at Hunter told me they were recommended when going with the four strokes, due to the extra weight. They had some problems with the mounts, usually when towing. I have a 25" Johnson Sailmaster on my H26, and except going through a rough inlet, it has never lifted out of the water. It's been a real workhorse... Good Luck, Michael C.

Status
Not open for further replies.