20 HP on a Catalina 25 too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2009
2 25 Oregon
Hi -

I am considering purchasing a Catalina 25 for my first boat. The one I'm looking at has a 20hp honda w/ electric start and lift.

I know is overkill but can anyone give me advice on how this will effect weight and sailability?

Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What to do

ask here: http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=1

It sure does sound like overkill. Is it a 2 or 4 stroke? What does it weigh? Where are ya gonna sail it?

We had a 7.5 Mercury 2 stroke on ours here in SF and it worked just fine for sailing the Bay and the Ocean.

Just also stop to think that the difference in weight between the 20 hp and a 7.5 hp could be the same as one crew member, so maybe not such a big hit. The larger issue is quality support on the transom.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Not too big

The Honda 20 weighs approximately the same as the 9.9 - 110 lbs. Power tilt may add slightly more weight.

The 7.5 weighed about 80lbs. So, unless your "extra crew member" is a 5 year old, it's not that big a difference.

The issue may be overpowering. You dont need 20hp on a cat 25. 10hp will get it to hull speed. Therefore the xtra money, fuel, and (marginally) weight has been wasted. That said, it's already paid for, and a 20hp Honda with power tilt is about $4,000. So if you got a good price on the boat, rev her up and see if she'll plane :)

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
That's a lot of motor

A Honda 20 with electric tilt and long shaft weighs 131lbs. That is a lot of motor. If you like the boat then you can either keep the Honda or sell the Honda and replace it with a smaller outboard more suited to the boat. Those Hondas are very popular with fishiing boats that use them as kickers.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I'd agree, that's a lot of engine for the boat. The Catalina 25 2 slips down from us has a 7.5; I run a 4 on my Capri 22 and get pretty close to hull speed. My Dad never ran anything bigger than a 9 on his 70's Bristol Corsair 24.

Yo Nauti! Beavers rule! 8^P

May 21, 2009
Catalina 250 Whiskeytown Lake CA
You might want to offset the additional weight in the stern with a couple hundred pounds in under the V-berth. There is some likely hood that you'll get weather helm with that amount of weight on the stern. There's a Colorado dealer who persists in hanging 15HP long shaft motors on their new 250's. Why carry the extra weight when an 8HP to a 9.9 will do the job? Besides, ever try lifting an outboard off your trailered Catalina? Less is better all the way around.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Caution Beavo!

Yo Nauti! Beavers rule! 8^P
Are you sure you want to taunt a Duck just before football season?? :D

I've seen Verboten out on the lake. It's been a good year on Fern Ridge.

B

Blue Nose 333

I have a 6 hp mercury (tohatsu) 4 stroke on my c-25 tall rig and it works great. Will get up to hull speed, is quite, efficient, and light.

Sep 16, 2010
Catalina 25 Solomons
My 1985 Catalina 25 is - as of last month - sporting a Yamaha 9.9 long shaft. It's difficult to raise out of the water, but otherwise perfect for motoring. It gets me up to about 7 mph. That has to be optimum.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Nauti,

It's been a very good year on the lake!

Verboten, complete with OSU Beaver bumpers, is headed home tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.