2 Blade to a Folding = More Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul

I may start racing next season. With basic dacron sails, it was suggested that I start with replacing my standard 2 blade to a folding. For $1300.00, just how much faster wil this boat go? Is it worth it? My boat has a PHRF of 126...not considered a very fast vessel and with that kind of number will this prop will it make a difference? I do not own a spinnaker and maybe I should apply the money to a sail. Comments...

T

Tim

How serious are you about racing?

What kind of boat do you have? Are you going to be very serious about racing and doing well? Under PHRF, you will get a credit for a non-folding prop, no spinnaker, and dacron-only sails (usually). On the other hand, you will take a small hit for a folding prop. You will spend more $$ on a spinnaker, the gear to use it, and the extra wear & tear on the boat, than you will on a folding prop, which will last longer and not (normally) require any maintenance. If you are pretty much a cruiser, taking up racing as a new way to get some use from your boat, I'd suggest a folding prop (benefits you all the time, not just racing), an asymetric or gennaker-type pole-less sail (less hands required to use, thus you will use it cruising and take less of a rating hit), and a decent bottom-paint job. Just my opinion, but I hope that helps! Good luck, Tim

Jun 25, 2004
Islander 36 San Francisco
Sails First

A folding prop with make you go faster but they can be lots of problems. Unless you are very serious about racing I would pass on a folding prop. You can get much more speed (and have more fun) with new sails or a spinnaker. If you are serious about racing I would still recommend the spinnaker before a folding prop. Just my 2 cents. --Dan

Jun 3, 2004
- - Windsor, Ont. Canada
You might be in luck...

Paul : As it happens, I've recently changed our 2 blade Flex a Fold, to a 3 blade Flex a Fold. If you'll give me a reasonable offer on the 2 blade, I'd sell it to you, & you'll likely save a fair amount over the price of a new one. It was used for 2 seasons on our 361. To address your question regarding how much you'll gain using a folding prop, I found that the gain we saw was about half a knot. I would never go back to a standard prop after using one of these. Cheers, Paul. www.winpipe.ca

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

3 blade

Paul why did you change to the three blade? Flex o fold seems to be pushing the 2 blade. and do you have the Westerbeke 30B-3 in your boat? Thanks Charlie

Jun 3, 2004
- - Windsor, Ont. Canada
Flex a Fold..3 blade.

Charlie : There's a zinc on the end of the 3 blade & we're going to salt water someday. Cheers, Paul. www.winpipe.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.