1st sail jitters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Cedar Creek Lake, Tool, TX
My wife and I are looking forward to this Saturday's forecast of 84 degrees. We purchased our first sailboat 6 weeks ago, a Catalina 22 in great shape. We went out the 1st weekend but had very light winds and only played at sailing. Last weekend no wind at all, but we cruised using the motor and met a local gentleman that belonged to the Cedar Creek Yacht Club. We will be going out this weekend to enjoy the warmth. My question is regarding the winds. We are expected to have winds in the 25 mph range. As a newby, will these winds present a problem? My biggest fear is dumping the boat over into the drink. I am excited about being able to get this boat in some wind and feel her heel under power. I respect everything I have read about these boats and their capabilities. I am not crazy nor a daredeveil, but I am looking forward to feeling her do her thing in the wind. Should I have fears with winds at 25mph? How fast will she travel with these winds? Any advise, critisizm, or lectures will be greatly appreciated.

S

Steve

1st sail jitters

If you did not take the opportunity during your first light-wind sail to discover the reefing mechanism on you boat, then do so before you leave the dock in 25mph winds. It is always easier to let out more sail if conditions aren't as bad as anticipated then to try to take in sail when conditions are worse than anticipated. So, go out double-reefed and fear not!

M

Mike

REEF, REEF, REEF

I have a C22 swing keel. They sail great, but are not what I would call a very "stiff" boat. Meaning that once they start to heel, they have a tendency to heel over and round up into the wind. Winds of 25 mph are fine to sail in, just put a reef in your main sail and use your working jib, not a large genoa. Do the reefing at the dock, before you go out on the water. If you want to put it all in a nutshell, sail the boat flat, at about 10 - 12 degrees heel. Take it slow and easy at first, don't be a dare devil, and enjoy yourselves! See the attached link. It's the C22 owner's manual. Save or print it if you do not have one. Look at sec 4.1.10 for reefing procedure. http://www.catalina22.org/manuals/mnl87/handbook.htm

J

John J

Sail Trim

Make the ride a little smoother and drop the traveler to leeward and let the main sheet out until the top of the mail opens up a bit to dump some air. Enjoy

R

randy

relax

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...i am going to suggest you NOT go out like this under these conditions, if you want to enjoy and have your spousal unit enjoy also. "learning" to sail with 25 mph winds is like learning to drive, the first time under the wheel, on the interstate. the previous answers all talked about reefing, etc., but i kinda doubt you are even familiar with those terms even. that's ok, that's not your fault. i would like to see you go out again when the winds are a LITTLE more than light and variable...say 5 ro 10 mph. learn how she feels that way, and gradually work your way up to more winds. gain some experience. your wife will thank you also. keep in mind, if she doesn't enjoy the sailing under the rough conditions , you likely will have a hard time talking her into going out again. period.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 34 S. Harpswell
...vs. No Sail Shivers

Can't add to the advise already provided re sail trim/reefing, etc. Anticipate some gusts in excess of 25; make sure you're got sufficient safety equipment on board (all the time) and I'd also urge wearing your PFDs for the weekend outing. I do admit to geoenvy. With our forecast of high temps of 31, E.winds of 10-15mph and 10-20 inches of snow coming our way, Cedar Creek Lake seems a finer place to be. Guess I'd better make sure I've got the chains on the snow thrower! Hope you have a great weekend sail. With the wind in my face too, I'll be thinking of you from behind one of these snow banks.;)

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Try using only one sail

It looks like the Cal 22 is masthead rigged sloop, so the main is relatively small. In high winds you can sail the boat with just a reefed main OR with just the jib. This may help for you and your mate to get a better and controlled feel for the boat under these conditions. Remember, the goal is to have fun!

Jul 12, 2004
Catalina 320 chestertown
High Winds

Couple more thoughts. I like the idea that you will never get your significant other to go out again if she has a very bad day, and I agree. So, another option is to reef that main at the dock, go on out there and see how the boat handles with ONLY the main, no jib. In fact as part of your getting used to the boat, you should do those kinds of things any way. Lastly, you should try sailing with only the jib also. If things go well with only the main, then try the jib. If its too windy, have a nice party at the dock and meet some new friends, that is part of it anyway. Best of luck.

Feb 21, 2005
Thanks

I appreciate everyone's advise. We sailed the first day with only the main sail, just to get out and play. There was very little wind if any, so we gat familiar with the boat more than anything. I am not familiar with "reefing" at all and am not going to try it alone. We are supposed to meet some members of the lake yacht club for breakfast, so we may get them to show me what you guys are talking about. So, if it is a rough day sailing the wife will not want to go again????? lol We are having a great time and haven't popped any canvass yet!!!!!!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Lessons anyone?

When we bought our C22 in 1982 or 3, we took lessons, including one on our own boat. 25 mph will dog your ears and craze your crew. Your boat, your choice. Lotsa good input here. Stu

Feb 21, 2005
Thanks Stu

We are not crazy. I have a long season on the water here in Texas. If not this weekend, then maybe next, We are respectful of the boat, the wind, and our skills (or lack of).

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Sail

I agree with Randy and Paul, whatever you do (if you want the Admiral to go on the water again) do not scare her to death on your first real sail. She'll never forgive you and maybe never go on set foot on the boat again.

Feb 28, 2005
- - Port Aransas, Tx
Me too, in Texas

I am sailing my Catalina 22 down by Port Aransas, and the winds are forecast to be 15-20 knots. I have a swing keel, and am looking forward to it! I would suggest just running the main sail, and get used to that. Then, once you are complacent :), get out the working jib and start playing with the wind. This will be my first time too this weekend, to sail in good winds, and I'll post my experience when I get back. Bill P ------ Port Aransas, Tx

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
At Ease says it all

also, don't scare yourself. Stu PS --- once you've conquered the shades of the deep, don't refer to yourself as "myself" --- that's reserved for basketball players, as if that's a real sport... PPS glad you're not crazy --- have fun

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 22 Cape Cod
I Echo on the REEFING . . .

. . . except I would not even us the jib at 25 mph winds. The boat will have plenty of power with just the main. Considering you are beginners, a single sail to manage in higher winds will make things more enjoyable and less scary. Another factor is how rough the waves will be. If you have protected waters and not much wave height, 25 mph winds is just plain fun. If you have got wave action, then it is more like heavy weather sailing. Plan on getting a bit wet. The boat itself will be fine, just be ready to let out the sail and head up wind when the gust hits. Lock the keel down with the locking bolt and you should be all set. Regards, Ted

S

Steve

Learn to reef...or don't go!

Although I am relatively new to sailing (less than 1 year), the first thing I was advised was, "before you leave the dock, know how to put a reef in your sail!." The second thing was, "The time to reef is when you first think it's time to reef." Not later when you are thinking, "I wish I had reefed back when I first thought I should." Other than that, the boat can take a lot more than you can, so just because she starts to heel doesn't mean she's going to tip over...even though it feels like it. Steve

Feb 21, 2005
Better than Flying in the USAF

We went out Saturday with winds 25-30mph. We crewed on a Cat250 instead of sailing our boat. The captain invited us knowing we were new to sailing. Plus, he said he could use the balast. It was GREAT. We worked the race and learned a lot from him and watching the boats. For anyone new to sailing I recommend fonding a local yacht club and joining. Everything I read came to use plus I got to ask questions and get answers while on board. We discussed techniques as he would show them to us. Got to experience a boat being overpowered, dumping wind out of a main sail, reefing a main, and sitting on the edge as the the boat heels. Really have a lot more respect for these craft than before. I appreciate everyone's advise. it was heeded.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Good Move

Good decision...gained some valuable experience, did not scare the Admiral to death, and had fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.