1gm oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2012
After methodical replacement of various seals I've managed to eliminate the fuel leak. Thanks for your help with that. All I have left is an oil leak. I found it last night with a mirror and running the engine.

It usually amounts to a teaspoon or less under the engine after 30 minutes of running the engine. I don't think I can get to this spot without removing the filter, and maybe some other stuff. Have any of you seen this before?

Ok to let it go for the rest of the season? The oil level doesn't seem to be going down. . . .

image-3404233346.jpg

image-769966822.jpg

This is located under the forward starboard side of the engine--behind and below the oil filter? The banjo fitting is the terminus of a long oil line that comes from the port side of the engine. . .it seems to be coming from above the hex fitting. The third picture is not from my engine. My wife found it on the Internet and claims to be from a 1gm. I think it adds some context.

image-1756207193.jpg

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you may be able to replace the copper crush washers and solve your problem ....

regards

woody

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Rust on the oil lines is a more pressing issue than a small leak. You can remove the oil line and replace the seal washers. I never mind much a small oil leak as I figure a film of oil on the engine will help keep rust away. There is also always the risk that while performing preventive maintenance something may break requiring then additional repairs. I always keep a soak pad under the engine to detect and collect any leaks. I replace it every six months. It is your boat, you be the judge of how large that oil leak might be and how much a priority it may be against other projects.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I'd agree with your estimate that you can safely run the engine for the rest of the season is you keep the oil level up. Course once you pull the boat you will not be able to tell if you fixed the leak till next season and you are in the water so........ might not want to delay too long.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That hex is a pipe plug that blocks an oil hole.. You may be able to back it out and clean it and re-install with a small touch of gasket sealant .. or it may be the banjo fitting seal washers ..
I do agree with Bill.. keep an eye on the level and you'll be OK.

EDIT: I've added a couple of images that show the bracket and the oil flow to/from it.. The short oil line is from the oil pump to the filter bracket. The long line takes it away from the bracket after filtering and sends it to the engine bearings.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.