1997 Hunter 40.5. the good, the bad and the ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Hi All I am considering making an offer on a 1997 Hunter 40.5 Will be getting a survey, but would like some input from any of you that have one of this model and vintage. What should I look for that could be a problem? What have you had to fix on yours? Do you like the way it sails? Does Hunter still have parts for this model? Any source for a standard hunter dodger/bimini combination? Anything at all will be helpful. Thanks in advance George

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We have one, mostly good, minimal bad, no ugly....

We have a 1997 h40.5, the last one out of the factory. We bought it new as a '97 leftover. Fully loaded; we were told that the factory looked around on the last couple of boats and grabbed everything in their inventory that was 40.5 specific and loaded them up. Your questions: Problems? Well, the only HUNTER problem was an aft port side toerail leak into the aft cabin. Apparently it was a model class problem according to my dealer. They fixed it before delivery and we've had no issue since. The only leaks we have are at one or two opening ports and that is only if you blast them directly with a hose at full pressure. No leaks at sea. Non-Hunter-manufactured problems were numerous. The OEM Guest charger is crap. We had about 3-4 of them before we had one that worked. And 4 years ago one of it's outputs packed it in. Hunter used a Volvo MD22L in that boat in 1997. It is just a great running engine except that it smokes slightly at all speeds and temperatures. I complained and Volvo replaced the entire engine after the first season. Apparently lots of other owners of a variety of boats had the same issue. Well, the replacement smoked too, but not as bad. Bottom line, if the one you are looking at smokes, don't get excited. I have come to believe that it is just a class issue with that Volvo. The smoke is very light and you really have to look for it, but it's there. I only mention it because it was a big issue for us. Don't make it a deal-killer. It's not. I had a chafe issue with the topping lift on the Z-Spar mast, but finally corrected the problem this spring. I can send you pictures of the problem and it is easily fixed if the mast is down. I fixed it swinging at the top. It was enjoyable and fun. Email me from the owner's directory for pictures. We had a variety of other OEM equipment issues within the first year but every one was resolved promptly and satisfactorily by our dealer. The boat sails great IMO. Our salesman told us that she would "charge to windward". She does. We have just the standard UK sails. One item that you will want is an electric winch to haul up the mainsail. We put one on at the outset and it has been great. Another must-have item is a low-friction track system for the mainsail. We put on a Strong Track. Very happy with it. In 1997 Hunter used an aluminum holding tank. It needs to be replaced NOW. If the metal tank is still installed you are on borrowed time. The good news is that Triple-M in Maine knows how to make these complicated tanks in poly for a reasonable buck and you can install it yourself with all new hoses in a weekend. I have installation details and pix. The Hunter factory has been able to supply me nearly any part I need. However, I haven't needed very much. I wouldn't worry about replacement parts. Our Bimini is separate from our dodger. The Bimini was made by AmericaSeam and was the OEM to Hunter. The dodger was made by a local canvas guy near my dealer. I am still using both original items. Feel free to email me from the owner's directory. We could also talk on the phone if you would like. I'll probably be able to think of a few other minor issues given some time. We were just at the Newport Boat show last month. We can't find another boat we like better.

K

Karl

Love mine as well

George, Rick's review covered just about all. About the only thing I will add is check the hot water heater. The pressure relief valve leaks, and Hunter didn't plumb it to the bilge, so it leaks onto the teak and holly floor. I replaced the valve, and it leaked as much as the old one. Easy fix, I ran mine into a plastic jug, you can run it to the bilge if you want. We went to the Boat Show here. Bottom line, like Rick, there was nothing that enticed me to buy. The layout is better then anthing going IMHO. If you buy, welcome the the red-headed stepchild of the Hunter 40.5 fleet. They all have Yanmar engines, we have Volvo. Parts are available, but be ready to order. I tend to stock up on parts that I use on a regular basis like filters. Good news is there is a great parts source located in Maine. Great service and a good supply. I have yet to wait long for a part.

D

Don

not much to add

as you can see, we 40.5 owners are a pretty satisfied group. Similar to Rich's experience, the only leak we had was on the STB side toerail aft into the aft berth. From Rich's description, that sounds like the only issue common to these boats and is a 10 minute repair. She is stable and tracks well and is easily managed in 30 knot winds and 6-8 ft rollers.

Apr 3, 2005
Hunter 34 North Hero Marina, Vermont
Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the benefit of all your experiences and have made an offer. Now we wait and see if it's accepted. Thanks again. George

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Read The Owner Reviews?

If not, see the tab for boats on top of the page and go to the 40.5 section. Good info there. Also see my post in the Photo Forum about a Lonseal floor. There is a section about a water tank that may leak and what to do about it. I have had little problem with my 40.5 in the eight years I've owned Attitude Adjustment2. None that I can recall from Hunter's engineering. The head holding tank will need to be replaced sometime in the near future as was mentioned, and you'll want to make a hole-saw cut on the back of the panel where the water heater sits and run a line from the pressure relief valve to the bilge as was also mentioned. It's a five-minute job. I sure agree that a powered winch makes the boat a whole lot more enjoyable to use. As to how she sails, I have taken four seconds in four starts in two offshore overnight races, in a pretty big class. And, that's with a big, recreational crew, full tanks, provisions and a full bar. Other than that, it's just the usual boat stuff. So, did you buy her? Rick D.

Status
Not open for further replies.