1996 HUNTER LEGEND 40.5 DEPTH AND TRANSDUCER ISSUES

Aug 30, 2020
HUNTER 40.5 LEGEND REGENT POINT, VA
Own a 1996 Hunter 40.5 with the original Autohelm ST50+ depth display and transducer. Display is mildly screen burned and it is flashing 0.0. I tried to cal. it to no avail.
Any suggesting as to where to start trouble shooting the issue or should I upgrade the entire depth system?
Any advise as to this would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the world of Sailing.
At your service,
David

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I would start with cleaning and/or replacing the push-on wire connections/contacts on the back of the display units - they are small, perhaps 1/8 ". That is the low hanging fruit and then proceed with trouble-shooting or replacing the transducer.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
@BLUEBURD . I have a spare ST50 (not sure if its a 50+ or not though) that I took off my 40.5 a few years ago. I'd be happy to send it to you to test if its the display or the tranducer. pm me and we can disuss.

• Helpful

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I think you are on the right track. Clean up all the connections first. I had a couple fail and wound up replacing all. I put in ST60+ but that was a while ago, ten years and there are two generations newer units now. Some individual displays may be redundant to those incorporated in various displays now, although it would be hard for me to give up individual units. But, maybe that's just me. That's way down the line, however. Try first cleaning up connections and then maybe a used head unit if that doesn't work. Before you chuck the whole system, do a lot of research and get opinions here (of which there will be lots!). Congratulations on your new boat. I have had ours for 21 years.

Aug 30, 2020
Many Thanks to all the great info and suggestions concerning the issue.
Special Thanks to Rick Stidger, Song of the Sea.
At your service,
David

Aug 30, 2020
Hello to all and thanks for all the suggestions concerning the depth display & transducer issue I have been having.
After switching displays with another boat owner it was determined that the transducer has failed.
Looking at a Airmar, In-Hull: Adjustable-angle Depth Transducer Models: P79 and would like to know if anyone has used this style of transducer and is the 40.5's solid hull or are they cored? If it works right it will save me a all-out.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hello to all and thanks for all the suggestions concerning the depth display & transducer issue I have been having.
After switching displays with another boat owner it was determined that the transducer has failed.
Looking at a Airmar, In-Hull: Adjustable-angle Depth Transducer Models: P79 and would like to know if anyone has used this style of transducer and is the 40.5's solid hull or are they cored? If it works right it will save me a all-out.

Correct, flashing "0.0" means "no traducer signal"

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I had a similar problem on my 2000 H340 but with my speed transducer many years ago. Raymarine no longer supports theST30 instruments but I found that an Airmar replacement transducer for ST30/ST60 will fit the old thru hull fitting and drive the ST30 display. I found a new transducer with a complete thru hull fitting and plug on the Internet for about $60. The new transducer fit exactly into the old thru hull fitting so I did not have to replace that. If the display also fails, Raymarine says that their ST40 display will work with the old or new transducer. Raymarine also suggested that I contact GEM Electronics Co., the maker of Airmar transducers at 803-693-0777 to get their recommendation on replacing the transducer.

BTW:I found it virtually impossible to route the wires from the new transducer up to the sea hood display without dismantling much of the boat. The Hunter factory left a few empty wire chase conduits on the boat with wire-pull lines in place. Nonetheless, getting the wires, undamaged, to and through these wire chase conduits was still a major operation even with the use of an electrician’s fish wire. Instead, I chose to splice the new transducer leads into the original wires from the old transducer and the speed data to the display seems to function normally.

Feb 8, 2017
Hunter 40.5 Browns Point
I am using a P79 on my 40.5 and it works great.

Jul 22, 2020
Hunter Legend 37.5 37.5 New Braunfels
Hello Bluebird and John T1594 ( or any other Hunter boat owner)

I own a 1994 Hunter Legend 37.5. My speed instrument does not work. So, I tried cleaning the paddle wheel and checked the wiring. I think that it has just failed.

I bought a new Airmar (same manufacturer as my old one and test wired it to my ST60 Speed Instrument and spun the paddle wheel. Worked perfectly.

So, I pull the old transducer out and found out that this new Airmar Model ST800 is narrower than the old one. It is 1 1/4 inches vs 1 3/4. I do not want to replace the nice bronze thru hull fitting, nor haul it out of the water for a smaller plastic thru hull.

1. Does Airmar make a bigger Model?
2. Is there a used one out there that I can buy?

Thanks