1994 Hunter 40.5 price new

Sep 27, 2021
O'Day 34 Huron
Does anyone know what the 40.5 Legend sold for new, back in 1994? I'm trying to identify the depreciation value for a purchase today.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

If it is a USCG documented boat a title search can tell you that (as it did for my recent 1984 boat purchase) OR if it was state registered and did not move out of state maybe the state can tell you from their records.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I don't know for a 1994 model, but for 1997 I think the base price was about 145K. Finding the actual sale price may not be helpful unless you know what options were included and the amount of any dealer discount.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
As I recall, it was $140,000 for the 1993 model we had. Depends on how it was equipped, I.e., electronics, genset, A/C, dodger/Bimini, etc…, all of which were add-ons.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Does anyone know what the 40.5 Legend sold for new, back in 1994? I'm trying to identify the depreciation value for a purchase today.
As I recall, it was about $140+K base (although I purchased mine five years old). When you say depreciated value, from the base used price I paid, excluding the recommissioning and extras, I would guess 40-50% unadjusted for inflation. Not sure what value that has for you. Easy enough to check market value.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would use a SWAG from the numbers provided.

I would add any known extras that you have on the boat.

I bet you would have a price number that is good enough for Government work.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Does anyone know what the 40.5 Legend sold for new, back in 1994? I'm trying to identify the depreciation value for a purchase today.an
The 40.5 was one of the best boats Hunter made.
It had beautiful lines, and sailed beautifully
If you can find a fresh water boat from 1995 vintage , I suggest you grab it. These are hard to come by.
There wasn’t too much wrong with this boat. It was very solid, and had good systems
The aluminum holding tank was a mistake, but everyone knows that, and it’s easy to fix
I had the first one with in mast furling.
I told Hunter that I really liked the boat, but unless it had the option of mast furling, I wasn’t going to buy it
They called back 3 hours later and said I could have in mast at no extra cost.,
I wrote the cheque the same day.
Smart move on their part, as a lot of customers wanted this.
And, with a 63 foot rig, it made a huge difference.
some great points on the boat
Engine & shaft access is excellent
The bilge was nice & deep
Real teak & holly floors
Very fast boat upwind
Excellent autopilot integration
Great steering & helm feedback
Electrical system was top quality

I was considering the Ben. 40.5 as an alternative. Hands down, this was a better boat

best of luck!!

Sep 27, 2021
O'Day 34 Huron
The 40.5 was one of the best boats Hunter made.
It had beautiful lines, and sailed beautifully
If you can find a fresh water boat from 1995 vintage , I suggest you grab it. These are hard to come by.
There wasn’t too much wrong with this boat. It was very solid, and had good systems
The aluminum holding tank was a mistake, but everyone knows that, and it’s easy to fix
I had the first one with in mast furling.
I told Hunter that I really liked the boat, but unless it had the option of mast furling, I wasn’t going to buy it
They called back 3 hours later and said I could have in mast at no extra cost.,
I wrote the cheque the same day.
Smart move on their part, as a lot of customers wanted this.
And, with a 63 foot rig, it made a huge difference.
some great points on the boat
Engine & shaft access is excellent
The bilge was nice & deep
Real teak & holly floors
Very fast boat upwind
Excellent autopilot integration
Great steering & helm feedback
Electrical system was top quality

I was considering the Ben. 40.5 as an alternative. Hands down, this was a better boat

best of luck!!
Thank you for your Professional and Experienced response. It encourages me beyond your possible expectations. I have been fortunate enough to find one of these boats in the Great Lakes. This is a huge step up for me, as I currently sail a 1981 Chrysler 26 fixed keel, and an inland lake in Southern Ohio. I was unsure about the true value of this boat, due to the fact I only got in the market during late summer. Everything about the boat seems to be in terrific shape. The Broker I dealt with won my trust right away. Then just like that, I'm a Hunter owner. It's going to be a long winter waiting for a chance to sail her. Thanks Again