1994 Evinrude 9.9 electrical question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
I just bought a 94 evinrude 9.9 2-stroke for my sailboat with electric start.

The problem I'm having is the engine to remote harness is missing. So I've got to reproduce this wiring. I won't be using a regular remote instead I'll have a couple switches and a push button to control the engine.

So far I've had no issues until I went looking for the engine kill.

I've wired in the battery connections, the primer, and the starter solenoid.

I have two wires left.

a Yellow with grey or silver strip

a Brown with blue strip.

The brown with blue is a single wire coming out of the head of the engine, I suspect this is the overheat sensor wire?

I don't know what the yellow with grey or silver strip is.

My other thought is I'm missing a connection.

Please help.

Thanks,

James

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Most small engines with magneto ignition just ground low voltage side of the magneto to kill the spark to the engine.
You could try pulling the spark plug and grounding each wire in turn then crank the motor and note wither there is a spark or not. then ungrounded and check that the spark occurs. The wire the does that is your kill switch.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Have you tried Googling for the wiring diagram? It would really simplify matters to know where each wire goes.

Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 22 Fin Keel Lake Martin
I did try googling but without any luck. Online it says it should be a black with yellow tracer but I don't' have a wire like that...

I'll try grounding and pulling the cord it shouldn't kill anything I wouldn't think?

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Thanks Stu!
I just found out I have a 1983 7.5 hp Johnson hanging off the back of my boat. All I knew before was that someone had painted it all white. Now I know I can still get parts!

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I have a 94 Evinrude 9.9 on my San Juan 7.7m. It sounds like yours is slightly differient, mine doesn't have the electric primer. I wish it did though. I'll try and have a look at it tomorrow.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
It looks like you ground the black wire with the yellow stripe to kill the motor. It was hard to get a good look at it though, the motor hangs way off the back of my boat.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.