1994 Catalina 28 how many gallons is water heater tank?

CFitz

Aug 4, 2019
Catalina 28 Canada
It's our first time winterizing ... just wondering how many gallons the hot water tank is.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Probably around 6 gallons. My 28 foot Hunter and my 32-foot O’Day 322 both had 6-gallon tanks.

You aren’t going to fill it with anti-freeze are you?

Many people, including me, drain the water heater, then by-pass it and, run the pink stuff through the rest of the water system.

My O’Day 322 has valves to by-pass the WH. My previous Hunter didn’t have valves set up for this, but I took the hot and cold lines off the tank and connected them with a short pipe nipple to bypass the WH.

Greg

CFitz

Aug 4, 2019
Catalina 28 Canada
yep you guessed it
unit was not fitted with bypass, now we know why you use one lol
thanks for the info

Jan 7, 2011
I hauled out today ;-(.

Drained both water tanks, drained the water heater ( I open run the drain hose to a scupper through-hull, open the drain, and pump some compressed air into the TPR valve to push water out of the tank). Then poured some pink pop in each water tank and ran the faucets.

Don’t forget to winterize the head. Best to pump the pink stuff from the water intake, through the pump, and the toilet. Just dumping antifreeze into the bowl and pumping it out does not get all of the water out if the pump and rim of the bowl.

And of course, run a few gallons through the engine. I have a freshwater system, but I run 2 gallons through the water intake, through the heat exchanger and out the exhaust.

Got her covered before the big rains started around noon today ;-)

EE7DF5BA-B77C-474E-AA2A-F70725D15CB6.jpeg

What part of Canada ? My wife is from Montreal, and she has family in Ottawa, Montreal and New Brunswick.

Gonna be a long cold winter :(

Greg

CFitz

Aug 4, 2019
Catalina 28 Canada
Yes we hauled out today as well. We are on Lake Huron in Southwestern Ontario. Had some rain today here as well but started after we left the boat for the day. Going back tomorrow to make bypass etc and put cover on her on another weekend soon, hopefully not too much snow.
Appreciate your tips ... we should have looked into it beforehand.
Need some antifreeze? lol

Jan 7, 2011
Need some antifreeze? lol
ha ha. I am good. Used about 4 1/2 gallons.

but I went to go up the mast and remove my wind instruments....could not find my bosuns chair anywhere:banghead:

looks like wind instruments are staying on the mast this winter.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Do you store in doors?

I have never pulled my mast down (10 years).

Greg