1990 Hunter Vision 32

Oct 15, 2018
Hunter 32' Vision Quantico, Virginia
Behind the rear of our 1990 Hunter Vision 32' sailboat we have two rubber lines coming into the back of the engine. One of the lines goes back to the fuel tank and up into the engine. The fuel tank has a cutoff cock located back near the stern. Behind the transmission there is another device that looks like a fuel filter on the fuel line; photos attached. The boat also has a fuel filter on the Yanmar 3GM30F engine. There are two plastic screws in the unidentified device and my son snapped off one of the screws trying to remove it; photos of broken screw and rubber washer attached and the unidentified device photo is attached. The broken screw necessitated us closing the fuel tank cock back at the stern.

Does anyone know what the metal device that looks like a filter is called and who made it for Hunter? Also, long shot, anyone know how to obtain a plastic replacement screw?

Thanks!
Jason

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi @fiatlux
From your description, the image 7599, it appears to be a fuel water separator. An old one at that.

Perhaps replacing it with something newer would be a positive upgrade.

This is what I have in mind.
1624368612883.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Racor makes a variety of different ones. Your flow demands are not great.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup, I agree.. The old one can be salvaged by removing it and opening it up to get the numbers off the filter element and replacing the plastic vent screw and o-ring with a metal one... but much better to replace the whole thing with a modern one. either option will get you familiar with bleeding air out of the system.. not fun, but a necessary skill to have..
EDIT: Good idea to have a couple of spare elements on the boat.. Also good to change the secondary filter on the engine and have a couple of spares for that element as well..

Oct 15, 2018
Hunter 32' Vision Quantico, Virginia
Thanks so much for all of the replies. I went from zero knowledge to at least having a clue and the help is very appreciated!