1989 Mariner OB question

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
Hello all,

Trying to get a little more done on Thistle Dew since the main project of launching seems to be on hold at the moment
Most of the decals on the cowling of my OB are missing, and the manual I got with the boat covers both the 9.9 and 8hp models.
My question is, does it really matter if I know which model it is? The serial is OC195033.
I don't believe it to be electric start (nothing looks like a starter, but there is a black wire and red wire coming off, so I'm thinking maybe to charge the batteries?

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2019
C&C 25 mk2 Seneca Lake
I wouldn't worry about what the hp is - as long as it does what you need it to do for your boat and sailing conditions. If you are really curious, I imagine that you can find info on the web regarding how to read sn codes for mercury/mariner motors.... which will be useful if you need parts. But if you have the time and are looking for things to do on your motor - first check and replace (if needed) the lower unit oil. Also check/replace sacrificial anodes. New spark plugs may also be a good idea if its been a while (2+ years) since they were serviced last. All are common maintenance items appropriate for most outboards. As for the black (-) and red wires (+), i would presume they are for charging your batteries. You can check with a basic VOM - it should read 12-14 volts DC.

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
thanks for the reply. just finished building a stand for the motor, tomorrow will be new plus, fuel and checking the oil, then hopefully starting.
IMG_20200327_181016.jpg

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 26D Kingston
interesting little development. I got it running and seems like though it smokes alot, it starts really easy. the interesting part is that I checked that wire that comes off it and it has two wires, red and black, but the plug it connects to on the boat has brown, blue and yellow w/ green stripe. any thoughts or ideas as to the change?