1989 Catalina 30 | Battery not Charging troubleshooting?

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 27 Saco
Two day-sails ago I noticed that my panel tachometer stopped working and that the panel voltmeter stayed at 12 volts when the engine was running; in the past it generally showed about 13.5 volts. When I checked the battery voltage both batteries were under 12 volts indicating that the electrical system is not charging. Also if memory serves, the tachometer is connected to an electrical component under the galley sink which converts the alternator’s electrical impulses into RPMs. If my information is correct, it may explain why battery charging and the tachometer are not working.

Question: Given the above can you provided trouble shooting steps and or technical resources to help trace where this problem is so that it can be corrected?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Check the output of your alternator? Age/condition of batteries?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
The excite or other wire might be corroded/bad connection.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Why guess? It's simple to have the alternator tested if you can't do it yourself. It's even simpler to clean all the connections in the circuit if not done periodically.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
No other component needed endless your running a external regulator. I agree with statement above check the alternator excite wire for power with key on.

Les

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 27 Saco
Thanks everyone for this information. To summarize if alternator is generating12V+ with engine running, then alternator is OK and likely problem is wire connection corrosion or break paying particular attention to alternator exciter wire with key on. With stock Catalina 30 there is no voltage regulator.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Thanks everyone for this information. To summarize if alternator is generating12V+ with engine running, then alternator is OK and likely problem is wire connection corrosion or break paying particular attention to alternator exciter wire with key on. With stock Catalina 30 there is no voltage regulator.
There is an internal voltage regulator on your alternator.

You can't charge your batteries at 12 volts output from the alternator. A higher voltage is needed to "push" the charge to the batteries, typically between 13 and 14.5 v depending upon how the regulator is set.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
how long since you adjusted the alternator belt tension to the spec? a slipping alt belt won't allow full charge.

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 27 Saco
Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions. Finally got out to the boat yesterday to investigate your suggestions and found that the excite wire from the alternation had brocken its connections. Onece fixed everything was back to woring order. You all are great, many thanks!