1989 Beneteau 35s5 Questions

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
We are in contract to buy a 1989 Beneteau 35s5. We are very excited, it's a sexy boat.
I have some questions I hope someone can answer.
Has anyone added an anchor windlass to this model of boat?
The engine is a Volvo model 2003 with 720 hours, it's raw water cooled. Is there a flushing procedure for the cooling system on these engines?
The electrical system is european 220 volt 50 hz. Has anyone ever re wired this type of system? Do you just buy european appliances, (heaters, hair dryers, tv's, etc)?
The bilge pump is not in the bilge and there is no float switch that I have found. The pump is under the aft cabin with hosing coming and going. I have not found the end of the intake hose. Where is that?
Is the dc system the same as american?
Is there a source for replacement parts, (light fixtures, etc)?
Has anyone ever removed and rebedded the curved port windows? Do they leak?
Is there a source for an owners manual in english?
Are the plumbing fixtures serviceable? They look proprietary.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Congratulations on your purchase!

Is there a source for replacement parts, (light fixtures, etc)?
For Beneteau specific items you can go to http://spareparts.beneteauusa.com/. They have a catalog for the 35s5. In my experience their prices aren't the best so check here or other sites first for things that might be generic.

The electrical system is european 220 volt 50 hz. Has anyone ever re wired this type of system? Do you just buy european appliances, (heaters, hair dryers, tv's, etc)?
In addition to needing 220V for the appliances you'd also need to step up from the 110 supply that you'll be limited to in most marinas. Unfortunately converting the boat itself from 220 to 110 likely involves a significant rewire, since 110 requires more amperage, and so thicker wire gauges.

Jun 5, 2004
-Beneteau Oceanis 51.1 Chicago, IL
Fond memories of our 1990 35s5 as well as its beauty and speed. But too long ago to answer your questions. I do remember that all of the interior doors should be kept closed when sailing. The doors are heavy and the hinges would bend if the doors were open as the boat pounded through the waves. Back then, Beneteau did sell replacement hinges, but the same design.

johey

Jan 2, 2007
Beneteau 390 Baltimore
I have a 1989 Beneteau. Nor sure about hair dryers as they do indeed need a lot of amperage, but for tvs, laptops, power tools, battery chargers, cell phone chargers, etc, the existing A/C wiring will be fine. On mine at least, the gauge of the A/C system is about double of what is recommended, and it's fine for the water heater, espresso machine, and other hungry items as well.

Aug 23, 2016
Hunter 30 Chula Vista
Mike, my wife has picked out an 89 Bene 35s5 here in San Diego, so I'm trying to learn about them before we sign on the dotted line. Is there any advice you can pass on from your experience so far? I've read your other posts on the 35s5 about refrigeration, wiring, heat exchanger, but in most cases I don't see a final resolution. Did you get answers to the questions you were asking? This boat was used only for racing, so the cruising systems and the interior in general appear to have been neglected. We intend to use it mostly for cruising, but some racing too. So we'll need to fix the refrigeration, add an autopilot, furler, bimini, etc. 1989 Beneteau 35 S5 San Diego, California - Yachtfinders Brokerage

OWI

Apr 17, 2020
Beneteau First 310 Milwaukee
Your wife has an excellent taste! I have a Beneteau First 310 1991 and keep being amazed at how well these production boats hold up over time. With a bit of TLC you can make her look stunning again. The 35S5 have a good reputation from a sailing perspective. In this particular case the asking price is very reasonable. Have it surveyed in any case to asses if there are any major issues. Since it is in the water, have a test sail and check the condition of the most important sails (especially the main) as these can set you back $ 2 to $ 5K per sail.

I also noticed that the V-berth liner is missing (project) and that the electrical panel is old (same as i had). When i bought mine, i ended up having to replace it as a number of breaker were broken. Assume another $ 10K to replace, restore, fix issues and you should have a great boat for many years to come.

Aug 23, 2016
Hunter 30 Chula Vista
Thanks for the reply. We had some surveys done, and the boat needs new standing rigging, some of the windows and hatches leak, the hour meter on the motor shows 6000 hours instead of the 2000 advertised (supposedly the lack of a functioning warning horn caused the brokers to leave the ignition on for months), and many minor issues. The main and one jib were in good shape although the slugs kept binding in the track on the main. The other sails were in storage somewhere and the brokers were waiting on the owner to send them a key. I was thinking a low offer to account for repairs, but between the work that the boat needs and the COVID-19 stuff going on, my wife decided to pull out of the deal.