1988 Fin Keel v.s Wing

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

Looking to purchase 1987 -!989 Cat. 30. Does the boat parform better with the fin keel over the wing?

M

mortyd

fin or keel

dave, on long island sound you won't find much difference, but really nice boats aren't all that common, so keep an open mind. we wanted a tall rig with a wing, saw many dogs, bought a beautiful boat with a fin and standard rig, and have been delighted with our decision. let me suggest ken johnson as a surveryor, and gene colvin at westbrook brewer's as a broker. gene will know how to find ken. ken knows his catalina 30's and is honest and capable.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Fin/Wing

Fin performs a bit better, but buy the best boat, not the best keel...you'll be much happier, and performance is not that much different.

B

Bob

Wing if your crusisin shalow

Dave. We have a 1988 with tall rig and wing keel and their have been many who come to this board and ask what is better. I for one wanted a winged keel due to the shallow draft (3'10") and the opportunity for a greater number of places to anchor along the ICW (which we plan on doing next year). Those who use their 30's in the open ocean claim the deeper fin keel provides a bit more stability. It really depends on what you plan on doing with the vessel. If you anchor out quite a bit and sail in the bays and are coastwise, a wing keel in the long term may be a better choice. Remember, the 30-Catalina is provided with an additional 100 pounds of weight to compensate for the shallow winged keel. To weather at 20+ her footing is quite steady. The 88 model (Mark II) has great upgrades over the earlier models and you need to see the differences in interior changes (nav station, counter tops, cabinetry, etc)in addition to the "T" cockpit which adds a lot more room for the skipper. Whatever choice the Cat 30 is a great ship and value as well. Good luck Bob Lake Lanier, GA

D

Dave

Surveyor

I found a 88 Tall Rig/Fin in New London at Hellier's. I'm going to make an offer Monday. My next search was going to be a surveyor. I will try to locate Ken. Thanks,Dave

Feb 18, 2006
- - wilmington, nc
contact me about a Cat 30

I have a very nice Cat 30 TR/BS with wing keel. 1989 Mark II. call me at 910-988-1477 or shoot me an email address. I looked at 17 before I bought this one. Wayne redfishncx@yahoo.com

R

rick

wing if your cruisin shallow

bob, what are the upgrades that the Mk II has over the Mk I? What year did the Mk II come into being? I know that the fin points higher, but side by side are the two equal in speed?

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
Three main upgrades between Mk 1 and Mk 2

The C-30 Mk 2 was introduced as the '87 model (initial production was in late '86). The major differences between the Mk 1 and the Mk 2 are: The Mk 2 cockpit is "T" shaped to more readily accomodate a pedestal / wheel while the Mk 1 cockpit was straight (a wheel was an option, but it needed to be small due to space constraints>) The Mk 2 companionway is substantially smaller than the Mk 1. The Mk 1 had a large companionway opening, and the hatchway above it was even larger. The Mk 1 had an arched traveler while the Mk 2 has a straight traveler. The straight traveler is both easier to work and more functional. In addition, the Mk 1 had various engines, starting with teh Atomic 4 to a 14 HP diesel to the Universal M25, while the Mk 2 had either the Universal M25XP or the Universal M25XPB All-in-all, these changes make the Mk 2 a superior boat to the Mk 1. Steve Alchemist C-30T #4764 (87 Mk 2) Alchemist C-320 #909

B

Bob

More Great Features of the MK II

I think the interior changes alone make the Mark II a far more attractive interior then prior models. Catalina went to the white formica counter and bureau tops, backlaid the shelving areas with wood, enlarge the cabinets and replaced the navigation station area with a sit-down, flip up table that is easier to deal with and opens up the quarter birth area. They louvered all doors, added a map compartment in the nav. area and provided battery storage in the starboard settee rather then in the old nav. station locker. The window configuration changed, added new opening ports, and a few other items mentioned in this thread. The interior seems to be lighter in appearance. I find the the "T" cockpit is the greatest and best change; however the latest models offer the split transom for ease of getting in and out of the water and thats a plus! Bob '88 model

S

Stephen K

Bob

I was out at Sunrise Cove last Saturday...please give me your slip information again. I'm still looking for a C30 MKII..let me know if you know of someone selling at Lanier.

Status
Not open for further replies.