1987 Catalina 27 cabin bilge pump?

Aug 15, 2021
Catalina 27 Port Aransas
I recently acquired a 1987 Catalina 27. It is a project. Pulled up the carpet and wood plank that covers the area where the cabin bilge pump is located. A friend of mine has a similar boat with a fairly new rule industries bilge pump and switch. I anticipated finding a similar set up in this one. However, I did not. Attached is a picture of what I believe to be the cabin bilge pump. There are no electrical wires connected to it although there is a slight vibration to it. Does anyone recognize this? It may be original equipment. Anyone know how difficult it would be to replace with a new pump and switch? as you can see, the compartment has dirt and grime in it. I would like to get this cleaned up and new pump and switch installed just to be safe. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
FEAACD1F-7989-4426-8C52-E4F0399ABB6C.jpeg
DA908AC9-37DB-4FD1-B386-44DDC3B70B63.jpeg
FB1D50EC-B789-4FD9-AF5B-6690381372FF.jpeg

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I think that's just a strainer, if that's the only hose into the bilge and you have a manual pump that maybe it's intake. Anything on your electrical panel for an electric bilge pump ?

Aug 15, 2021
Catalina 27 Port Aransas
No. My friend with another 1987 Cat 27 does have a bilge switch on his panel.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You shouldn't assume that because your friends boat has an electric bilge pump that you do too. Hand pumps are a tried and true method of de-watering. In many ways better than electric pumps. But it isn't that hard to install an electric bilge pump to your boat. I would just keep the manual and enjoy the redundancy.
As you already have seen a dirty bilge is an invitation to a clogged pump strainer no matter what supplies the energy to pump. So kudos for wanting your bilge clean.
The usual centrifugal pumps that you see in chandleries are not that reliable, and the float switches are worse. They remove incidental water but won't keep your boat afloat with a major water ingress such as a hose failure or thru hull failure. So try to sure up that end.

Aug 15, 2021
Catalina 27 Port Aransas
Thank you. I really appreciate all of y’all being willing to answer my questions.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
If you look on your port lazarette (locker in the cockpit seat) you should see a manual pump with a bezel leading through to cockpit. A short tube handle fits in the opening in the bezel for your manual pump