1987 Cat 22: 2-pin OEM Deck Bulb LED replacement

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Looking to go all LED with Stern and Bow Navigation Lights to also include the Anchor Light at the top of the mast without replacing or finding out the fixture itself is no longer manufactured.
Any recommendations other than all the confusion offered up with Catalina Direct>

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
You likely have the same Aqua Signal 25 Combo Deck/Steaming Light...

I would replace it. It is junk IMO. I struggled to find a decent LED that fit the decklight Halogen setup, and the whole thing is open to the elements.

Here's a good review i just found online:
For a steaming light, it works? That's about it. It's about the same quality as an RV interior cabin light from the 1980s. Coat connections with dielectric grease, perhaps a spray of Boeshield in the general assembly. The deck light (bulb) is fully exposed to the elements and will wick salt and moisture into the unit. The deck light reflector isn't really focused and is more just a piece of metal to keep a halogen bulb from melting the plastic. If you have the time to drill new mounting holes, I would really recommend something else.

----------

As for the other bulbs....

Just search for LEDS online using the original bulb numbers. Most listings show the cross reference in the description.

I have been using good quality marine grade LEDS for nav lights ( i don't really want them to fail at the worst moment, climb the mast, and good ones limit RF interference)

I bought my nav bulbs from Doctor LED
Used the "Polar Star 25" for the bi-colour bow light Marine LED nav navigation bulb for aqua signal series 25

Edit: as @AaronD said... also check MarineBeam

I have been using cheaper generic LEDS for cabin lights

Note:
  • Noticably cheap LEDS are often that price for a reason. Usually are factory seconds or bad quality in general. Many cause RF noise.
  • Automotive LEDS are often designed to be WAY brighter than the original incandescent bulb. This may make seem like a good idea, but if they are too bright aka excessive wattage, they will generate heat and damage light fixtures like the plastic ones on boats. Also, why consume excess power ? I used bulbs that were brighter than original in the cabin, but still stayed reasonably cool and used limited wattage.

Last edited: