1987 26.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
There is a 1987 Hunter 26.5 in my area. Do I want one? By that question I am asking;

Do they sail decent? I am thinking they are a bit tender with 1800# ballast.

How's that infamous build quality? Is it going to oil can on me and flex?

I know there are "Ford" people and "Chevy" people out there and I am looking for honest, objective information. Not really looking for the "The interior is not as pretty as I would like" kind of information.

I would characterize the sailing I would be doing as coastal cruising in fresh water.

Thanks.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
It's a very pretty boat, does that count? I sail on a friend's 28.5 which I know to be solid and comfortable. You would have nearly as much room without the inboard. It is not a racer with that shallow draft. For that reason I like the 25.5 with the fin keel or the 23.5 with the swing keel. Not racing? Then check the Owner Reviews. I do see them racing in the Owner Pictures.

Jun 29, 2010
Pretty boat eh? LOL

Thanks Ed. Not going to be racing, just cruising around mostly. Of course I may try to stay ahead or pass that sailboat near me but... :) All the reviews I have read seem to say they sail OK but, that is from biased owners, which is fine too. Wondering how solid they are. The interiors are at least are not all plastic, some wood in there. Would do the weekending thing and a few longer weekends on it too. We have some nice lakes in MN that I want to explore and take my time. Plus there is that little one up north there with the islands I want to explore on my own time too. ;)

Thanks again Ed.

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 27 (89-94) Whiskeytown, CA
I've sailed my '87 26.5 since 2000 which I purchased from a friend who shared her with me since '95. I've taken her around the San Juan Islands for weeks at a time and she has been out to the Channel Islands & Catalina Island on a two week'r. Yes, she's tender at the dock but stiffens up under sail. I've raced her and she has won a few, lost many, more from my sailing than her abilities. While she trailers fine, she is overwidth for most states and she does take an number of hours to set up and take down. For that reason I won't trailer her unless I'm going to stay at least a week as you are usually a day setting up and a day taking down. The headroom is low which gets annoying after a few days, but the hatch does pop-up. The galley is small, but usable. Pleanty of storage space to get you by for a couple of weeks. There is not a built in ice-box so you have to live with an ice chest in the saloon. The walk through transom is another plus for a boat this size. Overall she has been a good sound boat that has exceeded my needs. The Admiral however has always had an issue with the headroom and the location of the port-a-potty in the v-berth. So, I purchased an '92 Hunter 27, same hull as the 26.5, different topsides. Less storage area, more tender, slower, 6 ft. headroom, more comfort in the saloon and a toilet in it's own room. I still have the 26.5 and I'm debating selling her vrs. keeping her down around the SF bay area for fall and spring sailing on the bay. I will admit there is some separation anxiety.

Jun 29, 2010
RMadewell - Thanks for that concise information. So at what wind speeds do you start reefing? I am thinking it is around 15kts? How solid is the hull? Any flex or anything like that? Thanks again.

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 27 (89-94) Whiskeytown, CA
I know the engineered hull seems thin, but the hull is solid. I've not noticed any flexing or cracking other than surface gel coat crazing on the deck. None on the hull. The fairing around the keel joint has never cracked or shown signs of stress and I've clobbered the keel more than a few times. I've never experienced leaks from the chain plates or ports. I did reseal the chain plates each year and I did a bottom job every 5 years. I did have to "fill in" the area at the back of the anchor locker as it was left unfinished and had openings through the glass in the corners into the cabin. If the anchor locker drain became plugged the water would back up into the v-berth. Two seasons back I noticed a leak from under the starboard side port. I removed the rub rail and found gaps and cracks in the hull joint seal. The leak was at the thickest part of the hull. I resealed the joint with 3m 4200 which took care of the leak. Since the boat was over 20 years old, I figure that was just maintenance. I did reinforce the motor mount by putting a thicker and larger backing plate as I just didn't like the way Hunter had it mounted. I tend to reef early and 15 kts is about right depending on wind and water conditions and which genoa I was carring. If the chop isn't bad and I can control the heal I tend to go longer before reefing. The Admiral always let me know it was time to reef. Sail inventory was a 110, 135 and 150 Genoa. Points best with the 110, sails better (faster) in mid to light air with the 135. The 150 was only used when racing in light air. You never know how a boat has been treated so make sure you get a good out of the water inspection as well as one in the water. Check the rudder for blisters. Mine blistered up. I've never found a blister on the hull.

Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
I've owned mine for almost 20 years, sailing the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River. Very sweet sailing and well balanced boat. I'd also concur with RMadewell's assessment, but regarding headsail choices, I've found I've really enjoyed the new 155 Genoa I bought from North this year.

kbnj1

May 8, 2010
Hunter 26.5 Riverton
There is a 1987 Hunter 26.5 in my area. Do I want one? By that question I am asking;

Do they sail decent? I am thinking they are a bit tender with 1800# ballast.

How's that infamous build quality? Is it going to oil can on me and flex?

I know there are "Ford" people and "Chevy" people out there and I am looking for honest, objective information. Not really looking for the "The interior is not as pretty as I would like" kind of information.

I would characterize the sailing I would be doing as coastal cruising in fresh water.

Thanks.
I've had an '87 26.5 for 2 years now on the Delaware river. It's a shame if you don't race - it's a real sleeper. I've won more than lost even with a relatively inexperienced (but dedicated) crew, 19-yr old 150% genoa, but a nice fully-battened main. Just added a used spinnaker - boat built well to accept it.The boat does flex a tiny bit (doubt you'll feet it), absolutely no oil-canning, is light, and will round up into the wind in a heartbeat if you let it heal too much in heavy wind (dump the main and no problem). No serious problems with it, and it's a simple boat (assuming outboard motor), so repairs and upgrades are fairly straightforward. I don't see it as an ocean-going vessel because of it's light construction, but that same light construction and excellent design make it VERY fast in the right hands. For cruising, LOVE the walk-on transom with swim ladder; kids love it more. Have spent a couple nights on it, and it's surprisingly comfortable and roomy for it's size. Old (original) 2-stroke is noisy but very reliable; am considering buying new (er?) 4-stroke, but they're heavier (not good for racing) - if I was cruising only, I'd make sure it had a 4-stroke for quiet and fuel efficiency. Porta-potty may not seem ideal to some, but after researching the alternatives and potential (cost/messy!!) problems, I'm very happy to have it. If it's not done already, I'd also plan on doing some re-wiring; I don't believe the original was tinned copper, which means likely internal corrosion - not a big deal (again, simple boat), but something to consider. Also, don't confuse this boat with some of the other Hunters (some of which I consider "marketing experiments") - the x.5 series are very well-respected in some racing circles (mostly by those who can't keep up with them!). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.