1986 Lancer 45 Motor Sailer Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2008
Lancer 44 -
There is a 1986 45 Lancer Motor Sailer in the San Francisco bay area that is for sale. Would anyone like to comment on what they know about this type of boat? How they compare to a similar sized sailboat...??? Why is it lacking a boom for the main sail? How does that affect the boat? How many of these were built and are they all similar/identical...??? How many years did they make this model for? Are there any writeups on this boat online...??? Is the factory literature available online for this year? There is a link below which has the online add with 5 photos and a description. http://www2.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=1887897&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=faralloneyachts&&ywo=faralloneyachts&

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The only data I have is...

Model:  Lancer 44 Designer: Herb David Production Years: 19 LOA: 44'-2" LWL: 35'-3" Beam: 13'-9" Draft-Standard: 6'-0" Draft-Shoal: 4'-11" Displacement: 23000 lbs Ballast: 7000 lbs Bridge Clearance:  60'-0" It is possible that the website you linked also has this info. I did not check, so if this is a repeat, sorry. Can't answer any of your other questions, sorry. I have some images and documentation about a 1981 Lancer 44. Shoot me an email via my profile on this site and I'll send what I have to you.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Main

See the listing. The main sail is set up on a furler. When this is done the main is usually "loose footed" as a requirement. I suggest you perform some searches regarding this term as there is too much out there for me to go into at the moment. In general, the furled main should be easier to handle if you plan to sail shorthanded and many racers use loose footed mains. However, most of the info you may find will discuss loose footed mains with a boom present (that is, cases where you will still have an outhaul and other sail controls consistent with an attached foot). I suggest you contact a reputable sail maker for their advice, perhaps even the sailmaker who made the sail on the boat now. From what I have read on the 44/45 it has a pretty good reputation. Get a thorough survey done for sure. Good luck, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.