1984 O'Day 23 Wiring Diagram

mkam

Jul 21, 2019
O'Day 23 MK II Indian River Bay/Rehoboth DE
I have purchased a 1984 Oday 23- my first sailboat- and am doing some upgrades. The wires behind the electrical panel were a bit of the bird's nest mostly because of the cramped space but also with a few wire nuts used which I have read are not recommended on boats. I plan on expanding the hole used for the electrical panel and making a panel to hang on a piano hinge to allow better access. I am having trouble tracking down a wiring diagram. Some of the wires were labeled according to their corresponding breaker but I would like to make sure things are correct. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a wiring diagram? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Welcome . Our Oday came with much the same wiring concerns . When I tried to follow the wires into the depths of all that is unholy ,I found Oday had sandwiched the wires between layers of fiberglass.
Rather than try to figure what was original and what had been added . I started over . This allowed me to make sure everything was new and corrosion free.
I was able to use breakers instead of replaceable fuses. I was able to add several circuits for features that weren't available when the boat was new

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm not sure why these tools arent used in industries other than telecom but a toner (tone generator) and tracer are incredibly useful tools when trying to trace down wiring. It typically takes a few minutes to find a line in a jungle such as this:

mkam

Jul 21, 2019
O'Day 23 MK II Indian River Bay/Rehoboth DE
Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought the best thing to do would be to replace with new as I trace the old. This way I can draw up a new diagram at the same time.