1984 Hunter 34 Fuel Fittings

Jun 24, 2019
Hunter 34 CFB Trenton
Good day,

The fitting into the tank is starting to leak around the base. Before I overtighten something or break sealant, can anyone tell me how this fitting seals? Is their a threaded boss in the tank that it is just tightening into? Or is it a two piece fitting with an internal sleeve that's impossible to put a wrench on?

I'm also wondering if there's a trick to the shutoff valve or if mine is seized. It won't budge and I don't feel like breaking it at the moment:)

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi Jason,

I don’t have a H34, but on my O’Day 322, the tank fittings are screwed into a threaded boss. I was surprised how thick the boss was on my water tanks.

My suggestion would be to remove the hose, then unscrew the fitting from the tank. Either unsieze the valve (or replace it) and then apply new sealant and retread into the tank. Use the appropriate sealant for diesel fuel.

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Adding just a bit of detail to @Tally Ho 's previous instructions, firstly, where is the leak occurring :

1711221693206.png

I would suspect under the lower fitting from the small gap showing. Speaking of suspicions, I would also suspect that the bushing is screwed into the tank. If that's the case, remove the bushing (after removing the valve) and use Permatex #2 as the thread sealant. Use teflon tape coated with Permatex #2 if the threads are loose and those look loose. Ditch the plug valve and install a 1/4 turn, 1/4" NPT ball valve. The plug valve will usually gall in position after a year or two.

1711222321235.jpeg

1711222446129.png

For a repair guaranteed to never leak again, disassemble all of the fittings and reassemble using Permatex #2 sealant. Diesel fuel will dissolve many other sealants.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The tank was made by Inca Marine in Nashville, Tn. They were sold to SeaStar Solutions some years back.
Inca marine Products 615-383-6020, in Nashville.
Date 10/84 , Material CL-100 (crosslinked ?)
Capacity 25 Gallons, Model FO-2500
I don't have any useful info on that fuel pickup fitting. Ralph is right on in recommendations.
The valve is an old tapered plug valve and would best be replaced by a ball valve as Ralph notes.
The valve can be freed up (after you've removed it from the elbow fitting) by pushing up on the part sticking out of the bottom.
I don't know if SeaStar has records on the old tank ..
I just noted that SeaStar is now owned by Dometic

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
To add to Ralph's recommendations, periodically work the valve to keep it from setting up. Fuel valves are often neglected because they are out of the way. Out of sight out of Mind.

I just noted that SeaStar is now owned by Dometic
It seems that whatever marine brands Dometic doesn't own, Brunswick does.

Jun 24, 2019
Hunter 34 CFB Trenton
Thank you all for the info! So consensus is that I should be able to thread the fittings out and will find threaded bosses inside the tank? That's what I was hoping for but wanted some reassurance before applying torque to 40 year old plastic:)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Hold everything that is not being unthreaded.. (elbow as valve is removed, boss as elbow is removed) The object is to not put stress on the boss-to-tank junction. There will be a dip tube in the elbow .. If it has a gauze screen on the tip, remove that and don't replace it. The primary filter will catch any stuff coming up the tube . All of that is fun while in "the pit" Best of luck and post some pictures please.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Poly, based on the photo.
I have to agree with you there. If that's the case, one has to wonder if the the method of attachment is with a friction spun threaded attachment on the wall of the tank, or a threaded bulkhead attachment which was installed before the walls of the tank were welded up.

Stay tuned ! ! !

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I took pictures of the inside of the tank when I installed an access plate on my 83 H34 but didn't unfortunately photo what the inside of that fitting looked like. I highly recommend adding the access plate to properly clean the tank but definitely clean or remove the screen at the end of the pickup tube as kloudie says.