1984 Hunter 20 - Restoration Thread

Jun 26, 2024
Hunter 20 Lewisville Lake
Hello!

I thought I would start this thread to share my journey in restoring my father-in-law's Hunter 20 he bequeathed to me. My sailing experience is limited to my youth when my father and I would retrieve abandoned rental boats from 36' - 44' from Port Aransas for the Corpus Christi Yacht Club. But there were good times to be had crossing that bay! I want to restore this boat to introduce my children to sailing as that was his wish when he purchased the boat several years ago. I am greatly inspired by Sam's work (@flynhi4u) on Memory Maker and hope to inject some of his ideas into her. I look forward to hearing your advice and critiques as I go through this journey.

Thank you!
Dan

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ugh! "You got it bad, and that ain't good." Credit to Duke Ellington and Paul Francis Weber.

Jun 26, 2024
Well, in my journey to find pulpits and lifelines I stumbled across a listing for an old Catalina 22. The pulpits seemed to be a pretty close match, so I proceeded to negotiate my way into it. I picked it up on Saturday but didn't spend much time checking it out. I was really only after the pulpits and lifelines, and they were in perfect shape. Anything else worth keeping was going to be bonus anyway. After getting her home on Saturday I started the survey and, even though she's pretty rough on the outside, she's not in bad condition overall. So now I'm at a crossroads. Do I stick with the Hunter 20 that is much closer to splash down, or play the long game and taste the sweet victory of resurrecting the Catalina from the dead. There's a great community and parts are plentiful. What to do, what to do...

Attachments

Jun 26, 2024
I keep digging the hole deeper! Fortunately I have yet to shell out a single $1. That won't last long.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
What's more important to you, sailing or fixing up? Let that guide your decision making. Good luck with whatever path you take.:beer: