1983 O'DAY 30 CB

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Anyone out there have the same model? Could use some off line help, someone willing to part with knowledge, question by question. In return, I'll make you smile or gut wrenching laugh as you read my questions/

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Had an 85 O'Day 28 with fixed keel. The 28 and 30 were fairly similar, so if you have any questions that might have similar answers feel free to ask here or by PM.

Aug 11, 2011
Ok GR, thanks for the response. Which side does the fuel tank come out. The plywood is de laminating and it looks like the tank has sunken down in its frame. Also, would you know where the clear plastic tube which comes out into the bilge under the steps originates from. I can seem to find its source.

May 17, 2004
Also, would you know where the clear plastic tube which comes out into the bilge under the steps originates from. I can seem to find its source.
If memory serves the hoses for the bilge pumps run through there, going from the pumps to the transom. The clear house might be the automatic pump line.

Aug 11, 2011
You could be right, maybe the remnants because I can find an electronic bilge pump. . I have the manual pump that has the bladder and handle in the cockpit, it leads to the deepest part of the very shallow bilge. I did have another gulp pump in the lazzarette, but both ends of the hoses were leading nowhere. I am amazed at the lack of an automatic bilge for the simplest at dock needs. Oh well, one more exciting task to accomplish.

May 17, 2004
You could be right, maybe the remnants because I can find an electronic bilge pump. . I have the manual pump that has the bladder and handle in the cockpit, it leads to the deepest part of the very shallow bilge. I did have another gulp pump in the lazzarette, but both ends of the hoses were leading nowhere. I am amazed at the lack of an automatic bilge for the simplest at dock needs. Oh well, one more exciting task to accomplish.
Yeah, my guess is that the automatic pump or it's wiring broke and was removed somewhere along the line. Do you have a bilge pump switch on your breaker panel, disconnected wires in the bilge, or an extra thru hull on your transom?

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 30 Stamford CT
twodzusfittings.......I own a 1983 O'Day 30 with a centerboard (hull #323) since it was new. I've looked at that fuel tank and believe it was installed in the boat before the cockpit floor was set on the boat. Removing it looks like a real problem. The only hose coming out of the bilge in the main cabin into the engine compartment is a white plastic corrugated bilge pump hose that goes from the pump pickup under the main cabin floor to the manually operated bilge pump mounted behind the on the rear cockpit wall. I do all of the maintenance work on my 30', let me know if you have any other questions.

Nov 5, 2010
Oday 23 Stonington, CT
Ok GR, thanks for the response. Which side does the fuel tank come out. The plywood is de laminating and it looks like the tank has sunken down in its frame. Also, would you know where the clear plastic tube which comes out into the bilge under the steps originates from. I can seem to find its source.

Aug 11, 2011
I finally figured out where the clear plastic hose comes from, the one that enters the bilge. Its from the ice box..

Aug 11, 2011
For all of you that might be interested:

So I think the fuel tank is put in place via the engine access when the boat was built.
How do I know this. I really don't but it would make sense as that's the only possible way in or out.

My plan to clean and rebuild the area has been bugging me, so yesterday, I tackled the challenge.

In advance I had removed as much fuel as possible, using an electric fuel pump and a filter set up.

Yesterday I reviewed the task at hand. The plywood frame around the tank is totally shot and the tank has sunken past its base supports. After a good cup of Tea, I siphoned out as much fuel as I could, to make the the tank as light as possible. I started removing the flow back line, the filler hose, the wires to the fuel sending unit and the fuel line. Last of all, the hold down
straps.

image0.jpg

image1.jpeg

Then, very carefully, I removed the crappy and disintegrated marine plywood, trying to preserve it to use as patterns.

image1.jpeg

I then lifted the tank out into the lazarette. But it would not come out through the opening. The filler neck was in the way.
So I drained the remaining fuel and crud out by tipping the tank into a shallow basin, multiple times, pouring the bad fuel into a fuel jug. (I'll deal with that later)
To try and remove the crud and clean, I poured two cans of brake cleaner into the tank, swished it around, and drained. What came out was disgusting. But its done. Allowing air to enter, the rest of the break cleaner will evaporate.

The area was cleaned and checked.

image2.jpeg

I then created a new tank holding box out of all the left over PVC board I had from other projects. (I did this at home in my work shop)
image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

The US Boat Documented numbers have been put back on.

Today I took the disassembled, box down to the boat, made some slight adjustments and then re installed the tank. I'm going to leave it empty till the spring.

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Sorry about the pictures, I am terrible at photography.

Attachments