1983 Hunter 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Oday 25 Durango, Colorado
I am considering buying a 1983 Hunter 33 and am interested in the pros and cons and sailing characteristics of this particular model. I would appreciate any info from owners of the 77-83 33. Thanks, Paul

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 Montevallo Al
H33

Mine the archives. Search for H33. search for Tim Schaaf. Go to the Cherubini forum, look through the photo forum articles on H33, read the boat reviews. Though I have diligently applied myself to sailing my 79 H33, the boat is still a better boat than I am a sailer. It can be single handed easily with the cockpit layout, is fast, has a mast height that goes through the Tenn-Tom and gulf coast ICW and outfitted and sailed properly is capable offshore.

S

Steve Weinstein

BUY IT!!! Depending on the survey, of course.

I bought mine in '89 and was the 4th owner. She's taken me many miles over the years up and down the Long Island Sound, up to Block Island, the Cape Cod canal to Provencetown, and points East. She's a great boat with great sailing characteristics and a lot of room below even with the narrow 10' beam. A few things to look for depending on how she was treated by the previous owner(s). Engine: My original was a 2QM15 with an add-on fresh water cooled system (SenDur). Past abuse and neglect brought me to the point of replacing it with a model year 2001 2GM20 designed as a fresh water cooled unit. Portlights: The original Bomar tended to leak a lot and allow water and moisture to soften (or turn to mush) the plywood core in the cabin walls where they're cut out for the ports. I finally got fed up and replaced them (yes! all 10!) with the new NewFoundMetal Tri-Matrix. Repairing the wet or mushy plywood core isn't difficult - just messy and time consuming. Improvement Projects: I moved the breaker panels from above the cabin sole to behind the bulkhead in front of the cockpit. Photo's of the project are in the archives in the Photo Forum. I also removed the instruments from the bulkhead in the cockpit and moved them to a Navpod on the pedestal. Additions: Dingy Davits, 80W solar Panel, Starting battery, replaced the pair of G27 batts with a pairof L16 6v for a 370 aHr house bank, refrigeration,radar, new (2000) instruments (depth, speed, AWI) Very easy to cruise, sails extremely well in very light air and also able (with appropriate reefing) to take a pounding in heavy weather. Definitely, IMNSHO, one of the best older boats to ever come out of Hunter.

M

Mark Mowery

H33

I have 1980 H33 #222 and have owned it for about 13 years, third owner. Check for leakage around the chainplates, toerail bolts, and ports. The in-mast mainsail reefing system will need some work, those little cam cleats at the front of the boom are pretty weak. My boat has the Yanmar 2QM15, and it's marginal, not much reserve power. Common boat problems, really, and the engine thing I've learned to live with. That said, you will love the boat, she sails sweet in light to moderate air, and if you reef down she'll take a lot of wind with minimal weather helm. Plus it's a classic. Met the editors of Good Old Boat magazine in the Canadian North Channel a few weeks ago while cruising and they told me so themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.